Very small amount of liquid on mbp keyboard.

Reaction score
My friend may have got a bit of icee on the right cmd key of my macbook pro keyboard. He said it melted and filled the space between the cmd key and space bar. Right after he said he wiped it up then used it for an hour. After that hour he said he flipped it upside down with a cloth on the keyboard. It was left that way for 16 hours. After some experimentation with the keyboard cover I bought shortly after this incident I found that the space held about 2 and a half drops(the max exposer if some seeped in the keys and refilled the Chanel is probably four drops.). It is currently working perfectly fine, not even a sticky key. What I want to know is

How much could of even seeped through the keys(I believe the liquid was only there a second or so but I suppose it could of been a minute or so)?

could the amount cause significant(problem causing) corrosion of the keyboard internals?

is it even remotely likely that that amount would get through the multiple layers of plastic and metal in the keyboard and get to the logic board?

if it actually needs a repair are the repairs reliable?

if I have a problem it will almost certainly be with the keyboard and not the logic board, battery controller, other internals, or etc?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

How much could of even seeped through the keys(I believe the liquid was only there a second or so but I suppose it could of been a minute or so)?

How would we know?

could the amount cause significant(problem causing) corrosion of the keyboard internals?

Yes. You describe the drink as an "icee," which in some regions of the US is also known as a "slurpee" or frozen sugary drink. If you didn't simply misspell "ice," then a sugary drink is very likely -- even in a few drops -- to cause damage, as the sugars eat into circuit boards and dissolve the soldering and so on. Make take a while to do the damage, but the likelihood is high.

Even if it was just water, you might still see some damage down the line. Perhaps you will be very lucky, but the odds are against you.

is it even remotely likely that that amount would get through the multiple layers of plastic and metal in the keyboard and get to the logic board?

Sure is.

if it actually needs a repair are the repairs reliable?

Nobody bothers with repairing. They just replace the part that is affected and hope it didn't reach the motherboard.

if I have a problem it will almost certainly be with the keyboard and not the logic board, battery controller, other internals, or etc?

How would we know? We weren't there, we don't know the true extent of the seepage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In answer to all your questions - time will tell, If it fails it is usually the logic board and at over $700 as chas says........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.