disabling the 'open with" - application

Reaction score
need to disable this option b/c i am trying to download an srt file and it wants me to open with an application - it goes to a text file and i can't use that

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You'll need to be more specific. Where is this happening? A dialog asking what you want to open something with only appears if no application can open that file type. Can you tell us what you're trying to accomplish?

Reaction score
If you're just clicking the link try right clicking it and select Save Target As...

OP
M
Reaction score
the prompt window says there is no application set to open the document; then it offers choose application, cancel or search app store. i need to disable this message so I can send the file as an srt formatted file.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just click Cancel when that dialog box appears. The format remains unchanged unless you choose to assign it to an application. If you are passing the file to someone just send it to them. If you want to use it let is know. I think VLC and several other Mac apps handle these but I'm not sure because I don't really mess with them.

C

chas_m

You're getting this message because you are trying to open the file instead of send it anywhere. Perhaps you are double-clicking the file (opening) rather than single-clicking (selecting)? Or maybe you are under the impression that you need to open the file before you can send it (not correct)?

Drag the file to the Mail icon on your dock. Mail will open a new message with the file attached. Add the address you want to send it to and hit send. Done.

Reaction score
need to disable this option b/c i am trying to download an srt file and it wants me to open with an application - it goes to a text file and i can't use that

the prompt window says there is no application set to open the document; then it offers choose application, cancel or search app store. i need to disable this message so I can send the file as an srt formatted file.

Download....send? What exactly are you trying to do?

Reaction score
I find the "open as" as an effective way to open files that may not be native to Apple but would by default open in the default program...
An example is AVI or MKV files that open in Qicktime by default but you'd like them to open in VLC,,,

help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.