Deleted Dropbox file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Hope this is correct forum for this topic-I apologize if it is not.
I keep the file that has important information about our home saved to Dropbox primarily so it it accessible by all our devices. I THINK that when I open that file from the alias I have on my iMac desktop, it keeps a copy saved to time machine. Anyways, while on vacation, the file was deleted from Dropbox. Is there a chance I can retrieve it when I get home and access time machine?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I haven't used DB for a while but does it not let you recover deleted files? Take a look here.

As to whether you can recover it at home, as long as it was backed up, you should be able to recover it. That said, you note that you had an alias of it on your desktop. An alias is nothing more than a pointer (a Windows shortcut if you will) so you'll need to navigate to where it was actually saved.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Accidentally deleted files on Dropbox can be restored using the link vansmith provided. I do this all the time and the files are restored instantly to their last state.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.