internal mic not works well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 13 mid 2010
my macbook pro's internal mic doesn't works well, how can i repair it? so sometimes it's working, sometimes not

C

chas_m

If it sometimes works, that would suggest that there's nothing wrong with the hardware, and that your problem originates with software.

You can also bypass the problem entirely (and get much better sound quality) by buying an inexpensive USB microphone, such as the Blue Nessie or Snowball.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 13 mid 2010
so, i won't buy an external mic, but if the problem is because software, how can i solve it? I'm new on mac, i don't know everything about it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If the problem is intermittent it's going to be hard to track down the problem, but regardless, you could try by booting cold using Safe Boot Mode which will disable most third party software if it's the cause and see if the problem disappears.

Press and hold the shift key only when you hear the startup chime from a shutdown state after you push the power On button and until you see the spinning gear or progress bar then you can let go, then select your username and log in when it becomes available.

To get back to normal use, just restart normally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
+1 on the B.L.U.E. Snowball if you find you need a good external USB mic.

Photo on 2015-07-17 at 20.21.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
+1 on the B.L.U.E. Snowball if you find you need a good external USB mic.

They can also be used with additional downloaded filters to help mimic some famous announcers such as Edward R. Murrow, "Mike" Wallace etc. to match their genre design. :D ;)

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Sorry to be pedantic, but Blue is the name of the company that makes the Snowball, not an acronym for anything. I now have a Yeti from them which I like even better, but I'll always be very fond my (two!) Snowballs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't want to hijack the thread but this can be answered in one question.

@chas_m I have two USB miss that may have finally given up the ghost. May be looking for a replacement. I'm familiar with the Snowball but what is it that makes you prefer the Yeti?

C

chas_m

Slydude: primarily the fact that the mic has a hardware mute button (handy for that sudden cough), a hardware gain knob, direct monitoring from the mic (as opposed to the delay that might result from going through a computer and back to your headphones), and that it can be mounted on a threaded stand (like the Snowball's stand) or mounted "radio station style" in an armature frame with side screws.

The downside to the Yeti is that it is much heavier than the Snowball, as this thing is nearly all metal!

C

chas_m

To return to the original poster's question: he will need to do some further testing of the built-in mic to be able to provide more insight on when it does, and doesn't work well.

QuickTime Player X can be used to make audio recordings, so that's a great easy way to makes some tests.

Skype has a "test call" service that lets you record a short message and then hear it played back, a good way to test if the mic is working for services like VOIP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@chas_m Thanks for the info.l That leads me more toward the Yeti if the ones I have don't start workng.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
chas_m . . .
Thank you for the correction. I have a hard time remembering the change to just "Blue" now. I have their Woodpecker ribbon studio recording mic with an early S/N one. It was made by the Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics in Latvia. Over time they changed hands and the name went to Blue from B.L.U.E.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.