Problems Using Magic Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.2 ghz 21" iMac Mid-2010 with Windows 7, iphone 7, ipad air 3rd gen.
Lately at times after a reboot I would have problems with my magic mouse moving erratically or barely at all. The last few times simply removing the device from Bluetooth manager and pairing it again solved the problem. Today though after a reboot it started behaving again and removing it didn't help. I have also tried turning it on & off, turning bluetooth on and off, and even rebooting yet it still isn't working right. I just changed the batteries a couple of days ago (they still show at 100%) so that isn't it. It worked correctly before the reboot. I have had to resort to using a secondary radio mouse but I prefer the magic mouse so what do I need to do to fix the problem? I never had this problem before the yosemite upgrade.:Angry:

OP
townsbg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the mouse again and it started working correctly. What could be the cause of this sporadic behavior?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How old is the mouse? Alas like their furry namesakes they do die.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Magic Mouse is an expensive rodent to be dying so early. I have barely used mine and have since given up on it but it was stable and worked like it was supposed to. I'm just too set in my ways to use all that new fangled stuff! ;P

OP
townsbg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It came with my mac in '11. I didn't start using the mac regularly though until '13. I agree it is expensive and works better with my mac than my radio one.

C

chas_m

Sometimes a Bluetooth mouse will act erratically because of 2.4GHz interference. BT uses the same frequency as some other things (old routers, microwave ovens, cordless telephones) and can be affected by that.

OP
townsbg
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My desktop only had other electronic equipment around it limited to another desktop (which wasn't running at the time) an external monitor, and a wireless receiver for the desktop. The router is newer but on another floor. Same thing for the microwave. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I shut down the mac last night. No problems tonight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.