How hot is too hot? Late 08 Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 13.3, 2.5GHz i5, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM
Hi
I recently got a late 2008 Macbook Pro 15 inch after my purchase of a 2012 to fix didn't work to well. The 2008 has been having unexpected shut downs. I know the battery needs to be replaced, however I don't think thats the reason of the shutdowns. I installed iStats and noticed my CPU die temp was going over 206 degrees Fahrenheit (93ish Celsius). I stopped using it and shut it down after it hit 206, I suspect it would go higher if I didn't (It was steadily rising, It went from 194 to 206 in less than 8 minutes). I wasn't using anything outrageous, so I'm a little concerned if something is wrong with my fans or thermal paste. Does anyone know the throttle temp on the 2008 Macbook Pro? I have a 2.4 C2D in it. What should be the normal temperature? Thanks

C

chas_m

"Normal temperature" has zero meaning because it varies depending on what you are doing. It sounds to me like that unit (and particularly its fan) could use a good cleaning! You can hit iFixit for instructions on how to open it up, it's not difficult.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 13.3, 2.5GHz i5, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM
"Normal temperature" has zero meaning because it varies depending on what you are doing. It sounds to me like that unit (and particularly its fan) could use a good cleaning! You can hit iFixit for instructions on how to open it up, it's not difficult.

I plan to clean the fans anyways. I was running safari with youtube up and a few finder windows, as well as the iStats bar but other than that I didnt have much open. I might of had itunes open but im not sure. None of those make any of my other laptops come close to those temps, but then again there running Windows or Linex. Just for what I was doing it seemed to be running way too hot, thats why Im concerned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.