Using OS X 10.6.8 seems to be giving me printer problems - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using an iMac running OS X 10.6.8. (I want to avoid upgrade if possible because I had purchased a copy of Adobe Creative Suite which would no longer work on the newest OS).

Recently, my Canon iP3600 printer has been refusing to print. I read that this is a common problem with 10.6.8. I've tried all the troubleshooting I can - made sure cables are plugged in, airport is running, restarted everything. I saw a suggestion to upgrade printer driver, but it seems Canon no longer offers a printer driver upgrade compatible with the old OS 10.6.8 I'm using. Is there any workaround for this or anything else I can try? Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you referring to it not printing wireless? Or do you have it connected via USB? If it's wireless that you're having difficulty with, the best suggestion for getting the Canon working again is to completely uninstall the printer and then set it up again via the Canon instructions that came with the Printer. Canon printers are a headache to setup wireless but fairly easy when attached by USB cable.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@redpenguin Do you mean that it was printing under 10.6.8 and isn't now? If that the case that's not exactly the same as some of the printing problems reported when 10.6.8 was released.

Charlie's given you some excellent advice even if his description of the setup instructions as a "headache" is something of an understatement.

I found the 10.6.8 driver for that printer here. Sometimes the site doesn't go directly to the right page. If that happens go to the support pages for that printer on the Canon site. When you get to drivers it may say OS X detected. Make sure you choose 10.6 from the drop down menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.