Can "Back to my Mac" be used with iPad & iPhone?

Reaction score
I have a Mac mini & a 15" MacBook Pro. I want to get a smaller & lighter Mac laptop to take with me when I travel. I was reading a book titled "Master Your Mac" about remotely connecting 2 Macs. Is it possible to do the same with an iPad & a Mac or an iPhone & a Mac? Or iPad to iPad? I have a feeling that you will say that it isn't possible because it would involve iOS & OS X. I have a feeling that it only works on OS X.

In the same book I read about sharing the monitors. Does someone have to be present at one of the computers to allow sharing of 2 monitors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Nope, it can't. I'm not sure why Apple hasn't gotten around to making it possible yet. You can remotely connect using standard VNC. In fact, I've been experimenting more with it to improve the security in using it. Basically, OS X allows for standard VNC via the Sharing preferences. The problem with this is that there is no way to prevent a brute force hack of your username and password, which is your standard user ID on your Mac. I've started using the free version of RealVNC instead. I have a unique, strong VNC password (limited to 8 characters per the standard) and while that same limitation exists in OS X's built-in VNC server, RealVNC adds an extra layer of security by temporarily blacklisting an IP address that fails to provide the correct password after 3 tries or so. No one is brute-forcing their way past that. There are other ways to enhance the security, like using VNC over SSH, but I'm still reading up more on that.

As for sharing monitors... you should elaborate on what you mean or intend to do exactly here.

C

chas_m

I have used a third-party program called Remoter VNC to connect from my iPad to my (set up in advance) MacBook Pro at home. It works, but awkwardly (a BT keyboard used with the iPad **really helps**, but it is still very awkward). It's better than killing yourself because the file you desperately needed is at home and not where you need it, but iCloud/Copy.com/Dropbox/etc has made this far less necessary than it used to be.

But if you routinely need to access the Mac from afar, something like that may work for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.