Adding reminders to iCal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
Is there a way to add reminders directly into iCal?Barring that, can Reminders be synced with iCal?

C

chas_m

I used Fantastical to put reminders into Calendar (hasn't been called iCal in some years ...). Calendar lets you easily set multiple alarms for any event, but of course the Reminders app does the same thing, so why not just use that?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2012, Yosemite
Really just tired of setting up reminders as events in Calendar and want to see Calendar events and Reminders all in Calendar.

C

chas_m

As both Reminders and Calendar notify you of upcoming events in the same way, it really makes no difference which program you use. I suggest that you classify reminders as reminders, and use Reminders. Classify events as events, and use Calendar.

In other words, "get cheese next time you're at the grocery store" isn't really a good idea to clutter up your calendar with. "Dentist appointment at 9:30 on Tuesday" is a one-time thing, so it's not really very sensible to make that a reminder. It's a Calendar event that needs an alarm.

Perhaps Siri can be used to help you sort this out automatically. Telling Siri to "remind you" of something will automatically put it in reminders, with an alert ahead of time. Telling Siri "Add 'meet Bob for lunch' to my calendar for next Tuesday at 12:30 pm" puts it in the calendar instead.

Reaction score
it really makes no difference which program you use. I suggest that you classify reminders as reminders, and use Reminders. Classify events as events, and use Calendar.

In other words, "get cheese next time you're at the grocery store" isn't really a good idea to clutter up your calendar with. "Dentist appointment at 9:30 on Tuesday" is a one-time thing, so it's not really very sensible to make that a reminder. It's a Calendar event that needs an alarm.

Tell that to the developers who make apps like Fantastical and Omnifocus etc etc. Some people, like myself, have never figured out how to utilize a task list and a calendar separately. I'm most productive when I put tasks down on my calendar with a set time. Reminders is just where I go (if I'm not using Wunderlist) to quickly add things I need to do when I think of them. I'll then put those things down on my calendar so that I stick with it and dedicate some of my time to it.

Problem is that if I put tasks down on my calendar (without first putting them in reminder) and I don't get around to them, I'll lose track of them. So I need that on my Reminders (or any to-do list) so that I remember to do them. Second problem is only calendar has ability to make a task recurring, but it takes up space on my calendar if I make it an everyday thing. I don't need that mess on a calendar for a task. Being able to quickly add a reminder task to my calendar just for a day (or tomorrow) would be ideal for me.

It just baffles me why the two aren't integrated or compatible for dragging & dropping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.