Word for MAC 2011

Reaction score
I am using Word for MAC 2011 and cannot find an easy way to switch documents that are open other than going to "Window" and selecting the document I want to see next. I cut and paste from one document to another frequently and it is frustrating not to be able to do this. What keyboard keys, if any, can be used to perform this switch? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am using Word for MAC 2011 and cannot find an easy way to switch documents that are open other than going to "Window" and selecting the document I want to see next.

Welcome to the Mac-Forums. Command plus Tab is the easiest way to switch between open documents in Word 2011. You could also employ Word's ability to split screen and show both documents on screen at once. Of course that depends on how large your monitor is.

OP
D
Reaction score
switching document windows

I guess I am a dummy because I didn't find anything in the shortcuts of the Mac for Dummies that would switch between open documents. The other suggestion was to use command + tab which switches between applications that are open. I have three documents open in Word and want to be able to go to the next document window without going to the Window drop-down menu each time. In Finder I found under the Window drop-down a "cycle between windows" but it does not exist in Word. Perhaps there is no other way to do it.

C

chas_m

I'm sure there is something within Word that should help with that, but in the meantime you can use the trackpad gesture of four fingers swiping up to get to Mission Control, which is an easy way to switch between open documents.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just wanted to mention... that the new Office 2016 version of Word supports split screen document editing much like the Windows version. Unfortunately for now, only Office 365 subscribers have access to the final version of Office 2016 for the Mac. Microsoft will be releasing the stand alone version to the public in September.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just wanted to mention... that the new Office 2016 version of Word supports split screen document editing much like the Windows version. Unfortunately for now, only Office 365 subscribers have access to the final version of Office 2016 for the Mac. Microsoft will be releasing the stand alone version to the public in September.

I didn't know this. I just tested it with the 2016 Preview and El Capitan beta. It works there as well. On a 23 in. monitor I was able to scale the documents to the point where I could read the text cutting and pasting between the two documents easily.

Unfortunately Word 2011 does not seem to support this feature easily even under the El Capitan beta. I've got to test that a bit more.

C

chas_m

Given that Word 2011 actually came out in 2010, five years before this feature existed, this might be a bit of a "duh" sort of thing -- except that other programs that old might well support it. :)

I think the probable cause is that until recently, MS usually insisted on doing everything its own way, so it didn't always play by all the Apple rules, so to speak. This appears to have finally changed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not only what chas_m mentioned is true but I believe MS finally figured out what a cash cow they have with Mac, iPad, and iPhone owners. :$

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given that Word 2011 actually came out in 2010, five years before this feature existed, this might be a bit of a "duh" sort of thing -- except that other programs that old might well support it. :)

I figured it couldn't hurt much to try. I'll probely be trying a few other things with probet tomorrow. I'd thee to see likether it theks with older stuff and if so what.

M

MacInWin

I'd thee to see likether it theks with older stuff and if so what.
Sly, I'm scratching my head over this one. Did you mean, "I'd like to see whether it works with older stuff...?"

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, I'm scratching my head over this one. Did you mean, "I'd like to see whether it works with older stuff...?"

That's it exactly. I hate autocorrect when I'm half asleep. How dis I miss that?

I read the e-mail notifying me of your post a minute ago. I read the statement you quoted without realizing it was from me. My first thought was "What language is that?"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"What language is that?"

If I told the forum members about your secret language, we would have to ban everybody forever. ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I told the forum members about your secret language, we would have to ban everybody forever. ;P

ROTFL. No fun in that. All we gotta do is create a new language and the torture starts all over again. Kinda like software development from some companies: Why fix the bugs when you can give users "features" they didn't know they wanted. lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.