Macbook Pro Mid 2010 Will Not Boot Any OS X Media

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 - C2D 2.4Ghz, 6GB DDR3 Ram, iPhone 5 iOS 8.4, Macbook 2007 - C2D 2.0 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 Ram
I cannot get OS X to install (Lion or Yosemite) or boot (installing on other mac then transferring the harddrive to the MBP) - harddrive is known and tested as working without any errors.

I was able to get Ubuntu, Windows 8.1 x64, and Windows 7 x86 to install on a separate hdd.

Upon installing the other OSes, I discovered that the left shift key is always on. I assume the key is stuck, though it is still "pushable".

The battery was bad (bulging), so I took it out.

When booting from the Mac OS X Hdd or OS X DVD, I get this message: "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"

If I boot using USB, I can start the boot process, but I will get to about 1/3 of the way through the progress bar under the Apple logo before the screen will go back.

Would the shift key stop it from booting? Is this indicative of major mainboard damage (i.e. no hope of salvaging)?

I own:
Mac Mini 2010
Macbook Pro Mid 2010
iMac 2007
Macbook 2007 (white)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just a couple of questions to clarify a few things:

1. You mentioned booting from a DVD. What version of OS X was this? Neither of the versions you mentioned shipped on a CD / DVD. If this is a CD/DVD that someone created it's possible that it was not done properly. All of the directions I've seen for this involve use of flash drives.
2. What version of the OS was on the machine before you tried the update?
3. Tell us more about how you tested the drive to see if it is "known good". If the drive is formatted for a Mac Windows utilities aren't going to be much help.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 - C2D 2.4Ghz, 6GB DDR3 Ram, iPhone 5 iOS 8.4, Macbook 2007 - C2D 2.0 Ghz, 4GB DDR2 Ram
Hi Slydude,

Thanks for the help in advance.

1. They were disc that I burned using my Mac Mini, though I did try via a 16GB USB (Yosemite) that won't not boot, giving the "no boot device" message.

2. I could never get it to boot to check. This MB Pro was something I received from an estate sale, so I figured I'd get it a shot. I do not have any history on it. This was why I tried 10.7 then 10.10 to see if it would boot and install with either one, since this model was shipped with 10.6.4.

3. I used the WD disk utility Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from windows when it was formatted NTFS. I did not test it in a Mac. Should I have?

Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Others will chime in on this I'm sure but if you used a Windows utility while it was booted in Windows that may be Ok. Do you remember/can you point to the directions you used to create the boot disk. I wonder if something didn't go wrong there. Do you know someone with another Mac that you could try the boot disk on?

Although there are several ways to create a disk, including Terminal commands, but I tend to prefer this program

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was using Disk Maker X on my Mac Mini, though I had to do it a few times due to errors. I did install OS X Yosemite on the OS X HDD externally using the Mac Mini as well. When I popped OS X HDD in the MB Pro after installing, it won't boot, though it would boot on the Mac Mini.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.