need 5-button mouse to replace MS Intellimouse Optical

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 11,3 (15" Retina, Feb 2015), 2.8/4.0 GHz Core i7-4980HQ, 1TB SSD/4-lane PCIe, 16GB RAM, Yosemite
I've gone through three MS Intellimouse Opticals in the past 10 years. The last one, purchased new well after they'd stopped producing them, only lasted a couple of years, so I've decided to explore alternatives.

What I really like about my current mouse is that its size (121 mm long x 61 mm waist [narrowest point] x 40 mm height [highest point]) perfectly fits my hand. Plus the side buttons are in just the right place.

Any suggestions on a currently-produced 5-button replacement that works with Yosemite, and that would most closely match my mouse's profile?

BTW, I'd also be willing to consider a track pad if it had three programmable buttons across the top, since that would replace buttons 3, 4, and 5 on my mouse.

Thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi chemist, I too had a Microsoft Intellimouse some years ago and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread but like yours it eventually died. I was unable to find a replacement so started using keyboard commands more and more. Now I find that especially with El Capitan (I am testing the Beta version) a combination of trackpad and keyboard commands may be more effective. Trackpad gestures have replaced a lot of the functions I used to attribute to buttons 3,4,an 5. I anticipate this will take a bit of relearning on my part but I think it will be worth it in the end. So thats my take on the subject but peoples usage differs and what works for me may not work for you.
I have put the question to this forum about switching to a wireless trackpad and the advice I got was all positive so that puts the ball back in your court, let us know what you decide.
Cheers,
Rod

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.