SSD in iMac mid 2007, where to go?

Reaction score
What do I need to do to new SSD , boot?

I want to replace my hard drive in my 2007 iMac 7.1 with an OWC 480 gb SSD electra

I am fairly confident I can do the hardware end of the install but I am concerned with the software end.

Once I complete the install what do I do

I will have backed up on time machine and am running 10.9.5 with 4gb ram

Do I just hit command r and then backup. will this reinstall 10.9.5 and all my data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I want to replace my hard drive in my 2007 iMac 7.1 with an OWC 480 gb SSD electra

I am fairly confident I can do the hardware end of the install but I am concerned with the software end.

Once I complete the install what do I do

I will have backed up on time machine and am running 10.9.5 with 4gb ram

Do I just hit command r and then backup. will this reinstall 10.9.5 and all my data

I dare say, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, a google search will give you all kinds of hits and various methods, and even OWC has a lot of info to help you if you check.

Otherwise I'd use google for maybe something like this or add some specifics:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7QJaVqioHuOV8QfVjbHgAQ

PS: not only will you have your Time Machine backup, you'll also have your older internal boot HDD to use to migrate etc. if you use it with an enclosure or adapter. OWC sells them as well. ;)

Reaction score
I dare say, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, a google search will give you all kinds of hits and various methods, and even OWC has a lot of info to help you if you check.

Otherwise I'd use google for maybe something like this or add some specifics:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7QJaVqioHuOV8QfVjbHgAQ

PS: not only will you have your Time Machine backup, you'll also have your older internal boot HDD to use to migrate etc. if you use it with an enclosure or adapter. OWC sells them as well. ;)

Yes, I have checked, I would not have asked for help had I not.
OWC and Google have no step by step info on SSD replacement in regards to the boot process in 2007's, lots of instruction on the hardware .
Yes there is a lot of info out there but it is confusing, hence the forum route
I do not want to buy an enclosure and use older HD etc, I just want simple instructions on the process after the install, but thanks for your input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, I have checked, I would not have asked for help had I not.
OWC and Google have no step by step info on SSD replacement in regards to the boot process in 2007's, lots of instruction on the hardware .
Yes there is a lot of info out there but it is confusing, hence the forum route
I do not want to buy an enclosure and use older HD etc, I just want simple instructions on the process after the install, but thanks for your input

OK, so for the easiest, simplest and reliable method here's what I'd suggest:
- make a clone backup using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) , or Super Duper, but I'd suggest using CCC onto an external drive or volume partition:
https://bombich.com

- boot from the clone and make sure it all works.
- shutdown your iMac and install the new SSD.

- connect and boot from your CCC clone/backup and run Disk Utility to partition and format the new drive as GUID format.
- use CCC to clone back your cloned backup.
- set your Startup Disk System Preferences to the new SSD volume.

- use CCC and setup a backup schedule to a backup drive/volume.

That's about as brief as I can make it and what I've done many a time.

Some may suggest using a clean install and Migration Assistant, but that's extra work and not always easy, and unusually not necessary, especially with the recent OS X versions.

Good luck. And I believe that that OWC SSD has "native" TRIM builtin so you should be able to just carry on, but be careful with the new speed — mistakes can happen VERY fast and probably faster than your eye can catch. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.