Is this wireless modem signal strong or its time to upgrade?

Reaction score
Hi

I have Dynalink RTA1046VW for about 4-5 years. When I am next to the modem RSSI is -35 and transmit rate 54. When I take it to another room which is about 10 metres from modem ( no walls, only closed door ) RSSI is -75 and transmit mode drops to 5. Many times I simply can not access internet.
I tried to switch channels or leave it at "auto" mode but no improvement with signal strength.

Is the above mentioned transmit rate 54 ( or 5 when in other room) strong enough or it is time to buy a new modem?

Thanks for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any modem that's 4 to 5 years old is outdated. Yes, it's time to buy a new one. Consider getting the Apple Airport Extreme - well worth the price and has plenty of features. You can take a look at one at the Apple on line store.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks.

I had a look at Apple website and ebay.

What about Airport Express? Can I use it as a modem or it can be only use with modem I already have?

Sorry, maybe silly question but I never had any of these modems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Airport Express can certainly be used as a router, however, if you need the extra power and features (dual band), the Airport Extreme is the way to go. Well worth spending the extra $$ for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
The Airport Express can certainly be used as a router, however, if you need the extra power and features (dual band), the Airport Extreme is the way to go. Well worth spending the extra $$ for.

The earlier Airport Express 802.11n has no ADSL connection so you need a separate modem. It has an ethernet port and a USB port but looking at the specs in the 2nd generation model there is a WAN port and a LAN port but it looks as if a separate modem is still needed.

Does the Airport Extreme include a modem and ADSL port?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, neither one of them are modems.

The first thng most should do is check with their ISP and upgrade their modem. Many of the ISPs have updated their modems over the years and the modem will include a pretty good router and wireless network capability making the purchase of a separate router for many folks redundant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Modems & routers

The first thng most should do is check with their ISP and upgrade their modem. Many of the ISPs have updated their modems over the years and the modem will include a pretty good router and wireless network capability making the purchase of a separate router for many folks redundant.

My reason for buying an Airport Express router was that my ISP's wifi modem router, supplied about 6 months ago, was proving problematical.

The only remaining problem is improving the signal throughout the house. I have a TP Link but because there is only one ethernet port it looks as if I would need the 2nd generation Airport Express to enable it.

OP
K
Reaction score

I am a bit confused now:/

So if I buy Apple Airport Express I need to also buy a modem. Correct?

Regarding non Apple modems/routers if I only use my computer for browsing, watching videos and occasional movie downloading would be a product for $50-100 enough for me or do I have to look for some more expensive modems?
I dont mind to pay for quality but don't want to waste my money for overpriced products.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The modem really doesn't care whether the bits of info going in and out are e-mail, web pages or long Netflix videos. You should be good to go.

I would suggest that you check with your internet provider. Our provider recently updated things so we were getting more speed for about the same amount of money. To take advantage of the new speed we had to update our aging model to one that supported DOCS 3. Cost us about $50.00.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, nowadays modern modems being sold also include a router. I haven't seen a separate modem sold for quite some time now. The latest ones include dual band and the new protocol.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that should work with your setup but first make sure though that it's compatible with your ISP's signal and setup.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
And, nowadays modern modems being sold also include a router. I haven't seen a separate modem sold for quite some time now. The latest ones include dual band and the new protocol.

True but there are still some out there. We updated a few weeks ago and had a "modem only" option. The version which included a built in router wasn't much more expensive but I didn't need a router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.