best way to run win/pc games with lowest performance drop

Reaction score
whats good on a mac to run pc/windows games without a drastic drop in performance? i have a late 2014 5k retina iMac (the first one i believe) and I'm looking to play a few games (skyrim, project cars, a few others). what programs do you guys recommend?
also, do i have to buy another windows8 product key?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The graphics processor in your retina iMac should be more than capable of running games in at least a medium to high frame rate. You can always lower the frame rate of the game if it begins to lag or flutter.

As far as installing Windows via Boot Camp, be sure to follow all the directions given in the Boot Camp Assistant software. And yes, you will need a full install of at least Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, or 8.1. And again yes, you need a valid key.

OP
X
Reaction score
mac

The graphics processor in your retina iMac should be more than capable of running games in at least a medium to high frame rate. You can always lower the frame rate of the game if it begins to lag or flutter.

As far as installing Windows via Boot Camp, be sure to follow all the directions given in the Boot Camp Assistant software. And yes, you will need a full install of at least Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, or 8.1. And again yes, you need a valid key.

hmm, alright sounds good, thanks. have you tried any other method? such as maybe wine or crossover, or a virtual machine or even remote desktop? thanks a lot

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your games are even remotely intensive a virtual machine is going to be too slow, As for Crossover there are some things that either do not work well or do not work at all. If you're going to try that route check their site to see if the game you want to play is supported.

C

chas_m

Since your question specifically deals with how to get the best performance out of win/PC games, the answer is to use Boot Camp and create an entirely separate Windows partition. This gives you exactly what you would have if you had bought a PC with exactly the same specs. I.e. maximum performance out of what you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.