OSX Yosemite: Computer display usb ports go to sleep.when display does

Reaction score
.Is there any way to keep the ports on when the display is sleeping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score

Hello,
Re my original Post: OSX Yosemite: Computer display usb ports go to sleep.when display does The computer is a Mac Pro circa 2011

C

chas_m

I don't think this has anything (or much) to do with the Mac, and everything to do with the monitor. The reason I think this is because my iPhone charger continues to power through the USB port when the Mac's display is sleeping.

This sounds to me like a power-saving move by the monitor manufacturer -- after all, if the display isn't on, it stands to reason the user isn't using it and thus power to the USB ports (et al) can be cut. There might be a preference in the monitor's prefs to alter this, but I suspect the real answer is to either replace the monitor or buy a USB hub and rely on that for continuous power needs. The monitor appears to be good for USB connections that are only required with the display is actively being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chas m suggests simply use the ports on the Mac Pro. There are enough of them.

When my iMac sleeps, the ports are powered and useable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some displays that have USB ports will put the ports to sleep when the display goes into low power mode. You didn't tell us which display you have so we really can't follow up. Like Harry said, Apple displays do not sleep the ports when the display goes into low power or sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.