Problems with old imac

Reaction score
I was in the process of updating my daughters imac to OS 9.2.1 when it froze on the Mac OS Assitant setup. Would not go past it, would not let me do anything. I then turned it off, added 256 RAM and next time I started it up all I get is a blue screen and the clock in the righthand corner.

What did I do?

What can be done to undo this problem?

My eventual goal was to upgrade her to OSX but did not get that far, although I do have the software.

Thanks

B

Badger

What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Badger said:
What model of iMac do you have? Regardless of that, the first step is to remove the memory you added; making hardware changes to a computer that isn't working right just complicates the issue. Now try to start up with a OS 9 system CD. One thing NOT to do is try to load OS X (or even use a CD with OS X on it) until you are sure the firmware has been updated. Using X on a slot-loading CD iMac will do very frustrating things to the computer if the firmware is not the latest version. (The firmware issue does not affect the original, tray-load iMacs.) If the computer starts from the OS 9 CD then reformat the hard drive and install OS 9 again or use the "Restore" CD that came with the computer.

Thanks very much that worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
Badger said:

I am real confused...I have the death screen too. On an IMAc . the "et looking design. so I do what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.