Duplicate File Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I read through the answers to this question. However, I would like to know what DFF program people would recommend. I'm using Yosemite 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Personally I'm not keen on using DFF programs. The problem is that some files look almost exactly the same and you are faces with a decision of which to trash.
Of course there are some files which are duplicates but may be in different locations.
e.g you may have a Word document in your Home folder and a duplicate in Business Contracts or something similar. If you delete one copy you may then be faced with searching for the duplicate.
Having said that I have used MacPaw Gemini but I soon realised that I needed some duplicates for ease of operation. The bottom line is you have to review each case one at a time. The only satisfying thing about it was that it showed a very low level of duplication, which after 5 years is pretty good. And I have never used the app again. Bit of a waste of money really.

I also might add that the version I have will not open the Photos Library but there is an update available which might. I also notice the price has gone up to $12.99 for the current app in Australia.

One final word of caution if you do decide to try it, DO NOT drag directories off the finder window to the app. If you do you they will disappear off the Finder sidebar and you will have to reinstate them. Rather use the big "Add" button on the Gemini window.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you.
I'll be careful with any program. I was working with Quicken and wanted to be sure I didn't corrupt the original and made mega copies. That and I did the same thing with photos. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
PhotoSweeper is great. You can amend the '% exactness' on the fly and a closeup side by side view allows inspection before deleting.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
bjpup, at the end of the day what we say to everyone still holds true. Make sure you have a complete system backup before trying anything new especially an app who's primary purpose is to delete things.
I think paying $12 just to find out you don't have any duplicates is a bit counterproductive.
I did end up updating Gemini though, and yes it now works for the Photos app. I ran it on the photoslibrary and guess what? No duplicates found.:\

OP
B
Reaction score
Rod Sprague, thank you. I'm new to this forum and I wanted to give you a kudu and didn't know how to do that.

OP
B
Reaction score
PhotoSweeper is great. You can amend the '% exactness' on the fly and a closeup side by side view allows inspection before deleting.

Thank you. I'll look into that for my photos. I still need something for the files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
For files other than photos I use Araxis Duplicate File Finder. It's about £10 but will only find exact duplicates. It works on photos as well but still only finds exact copies.

Reaction score
bjpup, at the end of the day what we say to everyone still holds true. Make sure you have a complete system backup before trying anything new especially an app who's primary purpose is to delete things.
I think paying $12 just to find out you don't have any duplicates is a bit counterproductive.
I did end up updating Gemini though, and yes it now works for the Photos app. I ran it on the photoslibrary and guess what? No duplicates found.:\

Hello!

Please be advised that our developers are currently considering supporting the Photos application. However, we can't promise anything at this point in time.
As of now, Gemini only works with libraries which were originally created via the iPhoto application. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Regards,
MacPaw Support Team.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There you go, I'll bet they are. Possibly explains why no duplicates were found. I do get a lot of photo duplicates though due to using Burst mode on my iPhone and motor drive on my camera and use Duplicate Photos Fixer, much the same as Araxis but just for photos.
Thanks for the heads up though.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.