erased external drive

Reaction score
1st post... stupid me have an older ministack. Wanted to erase files and start clean. Yup erased everything including formatting. How do I fix that. neither of my macs (g4 & intel) will even recognize the drive. Anyway to force it to mount so I can reformat with disk utilities or other sw? Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If it has been completely erased Disk Utility will usually recognize that and give you the option to initialize/reformat the drive. I don't remember which term it uses at the moment. Are you getting any indication at all that the drive is being recognized?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for you rely... tried that.

No recognition at all. Checked all set up cables etc. tried several times connecting to both my(mac) computers.

Nope... nada... like it isn't even in the same room, state or planet.

M

MacInWin

Is it spinning? Any indication it's working at all? And just to verify, Disc Utility doesn't show the hardware at all? That is an indicator of a dead, really, really dead, drive.

OP
P
Reaction score
Everything was perfect until I decided to erase all the data and partitions to start over with a clean drive to go with the newer mac.
No Disk Utilities does not recognize it. (on either computer/everything powers up).
If I toasted it I love to know how???

Reaction score
Is this part showing (green arrow) at all?
And not this part (red arrow)?
The green arrow is the drive, unpartitioned. Click on it and partition it.
If that part's not showing you got problems.

Disk Utility 2015-07-10 09-03-18.png

OP
P
Reaction score
Nope Nothing just the Computer HD. Think I'll put it back into the original box and let it cook in the attic for a few years and get a new ministack with an optical drive and tons of storage. Thanks everyone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.