sync iBook to iPad

Reaction score
I used windows based pc in the past and could add iBooks to iTunes, then synced to my iPad. Now with the new Macbook Pro, I noticed that I could no longer sync iBooks to iTunes. can anyone tell me how I can do so as before and do the sync to iPad? Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Haven't used iBooks much but this document might help.I'd test it but I don't have anything in iBooks at the moment.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not really into iBooks at all. The Kindle app does all I need it to do and it will sync my books to all my iOS devices and to my iMac without a problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a lot of help here either. Haven't used iBooks for more than about 15 minutes when it first came out. Charlie does the Kindle all push iBooks over as well? That seems to be what the OP is asking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, the Kindle app will only sync those books purchased from Amazon (Kindle) to your devices. The nice thing about the Kindle is even if you own a PC along with your Mac and iPhone, it will sync across all three. Of course you need to have the Kindle app installed on the PC as well as your Mac and iPhone. Since the Kindle app is free and takes up very little space it's not a problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have it around because my wife has some Kindle books. I didn't remember for sure whether it handled iBooks but I wasn't sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The reason iBooks can't be syncd via iTunes, is because iBooks has its own App.

To Sync across Devices then:
Open the iBooks app.
Select iBooks > Preferences > General.
Select "Sync bookmarks, highlights and collections across devices."

Now it gets a little different, if you have ePub books bought/downloaded from places other than iBooks Store.
You will need a App that connect to iPad via WebDAV or by Server. Thinks like GoodReader, FileApp Pro or UDB Disk Apps in the App Store. You upload to them, and then "Open In"~ iBooks from the Share menu . . This can also be achieved with Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive and the likes.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. TattooedMac, You hit right on my painpoint. I had lots of ibooks converted from txt to epub via the app called calibre e-book management. Can you elaborate on the ways you described in your last paragraph please? Did you try it yourself?

Slydude, chscag, I don't think kindle can sync directly to any i-devices as it runs in txt or mobi format but i-pad only runs in epub.

C

chas_m

The iBooks app should be able to import your ePub files just fine. Works for me. I suppose if those ePub files have some kind of DRM on them that won't work, but you mention creating them in Calibre so that's not an issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thx, chas_m, i will give it a try then. It seems that with Mac, we have to do the sync twice while we can do it all in one shot within iTunes in a pc. btw, what is the quickest way to add all my iBooks to the app before I do the sync?

C

chas_m

1. Open iBooks app.
2. Drag ePub files into main window.
3. Wait a moment for them to import.
4. Open iTunes and sync as normal.

OP
P
Reaction score
So still sync'ing from iTunes? Do you mean I will see the iBooks tab in iTunes (now I can't) once I drag my books to the iBooks app?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.