Upgrade defective 27" iMac display for Retina w/ Applecare

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum.

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this question.

5 months ago, I purchase a iMac 27". Since then, my display has started to bleed a brown color under the screen and it seems that a coating is coming of the front of the display. I have Applecare (still under 1 year + extension).

Obviously I need to have applecare address my display. However, rather than replace display, I'd prefer to upgrade to the 27" Retina. I was not told in Feb. that a retina was in the works. Will Apple/Applecare upgrade me, or allow me to upgrade at a cost? I paid several hundred more, for my 27" back in feb. than the current cost of the iMac retina.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

C.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Will Apple/Applecare upgrade me, or allow me to upgrade at a cost? I paid several hundred more, for my 27" back in feb. than the current cost of the iMac retina.

No, Apple Care has no provision for a trade in or "upgrade price". Sometimes Apple will choose to replace your machine with a newer model if they determined you received a "lemon" and deserve an upgrade. But that would be good customer service. Under normal conditions, you will need to sell your current iMac and use the money to purchase a newer retina model.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for the speedy response.

No, Apple Care has no provision for a trade in or "upgrade price". Sometimes Apple will choose to replace your machine with a newer model if they determined you received a "lemon" and deserve an upgrade. But that would be good customer service. Under normal conditions, you will need to sell your current iMac and use the money to purchase a newer retina model.

Fortunately, I have received great customer service from Apple and AppleCare... unfortunately, even "good" customer service is rare.... Rare most places.

I have been purchasing Apple computers, Desk and laptop, including the 30" when it was new and a billion dollars, phone iPad... well you get the picture. I'm hoping that my 15 years of customer loyalty will come into play.

Any suggestions on the best approach to get the best outcome, regarding this situation, before I do go to Apple?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You got the best, and correct, advice. Just take it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.