iMac Problems

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 27" iMac (late 2009) that I use for my home business.

Recently it stated playing up, freezing, taking ages to do anything, wouldn't shut down, wouldn't start up from being in sleep mode, etc etc..
It also will not back up, it says it cannot find the (external hard drive) backup disk.
After start up it would be ok for around 15 mins, then the problems started.
I bought a new 27" iMac as I cannot afford to lose all of my data. When I connected the two iMacs together to transfer my data, the new iMac cannot find the old one.
I plugged the backup disk into the new iMac and it also cannot find that.
I plugged the backup disk into my Macbook and it finds the disk but nothing on the disk.

Since I bought the new iMac (typically) the old one is now working OK….but still will not back up, nor find the backup disc.

I now do not know what to do, can anyone give some pointers please, or do I need to take it to an Apple store. I am reluctant to take it to a store because of the time involved.

Thanks
Pemimo

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you connect the drive to either computer are you able to see the drive in Disk Utility. If so click on the drive and hit verify disk to see if any errors are reported. If so using the Repair Disk option might fix them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for the help.

I bought a new external hard drive, backed the old iMac up to it. I then connected the new drive to new computer and my files etc are now on the new computer.

Now I keep getting asked for "com.apple.almigration" keychain Password. Unfortunately I do not know what this is.

I tried to get help from Apple website but apparently I need to know the old password in order to change it.

I have tried everything I know that could b the password to no avail.

Is there any way I can change it without knowing the old password please?

Thanks
Peter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.