setting pdf "initial view" magnification with Preview

Reaction score
I am migrating from Acrobat to Preview, and I am highly pleased with that migration so far. One thing I'm having a hard time with is setting the "initial view" magnification in a pdf document with Preview. That is, Acrobat allows one to specify what magnification the pdf file opens up with. As in, 100%, 90% or "fill screen" or whatever. Is there a way to set that in Preview?

Now, I'm beginning to think that "initial view" magnification is only used in Acrobat Reader, but for those people who default to that application with a pdf file, I'd like to set that magnification. It's gotta be in the file somewhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Preview will open a document according to the resolution setting of your monitor. For example, on my 27" iMac which is set at 2560 x 1440, it opens most PDF files at about 1/3 of the full screen. On my previous iMac 21.5" with a lower resolution the documents would open much smaller.

To get to the point.... you really can not control the percent of size or set a default as you can using Acrobat. You might be able to do it with an Apple Script if you use Preview frequently enough to go through the trouble of writing a script. (or workflow)

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. I suspected as much, but I thought I'd ask. Now this is for pdfs that I send to other people who would likely open them with Acrobat Reader, so a script on my machine won't do the trick.

The fact that Acrobat does it suggests that there is a scale factor embedded somewhere in the pdf file. It would be cool if there were a way to edit that factor manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.