Read and write to NTFS

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this BUT I need to format a SDXC 128gb memory card into NTFS for read/write.

I know there is a paid app/driver from paragon that apparently will let me do this and maybe there is a free driver?

But the question is when I add/delete files from this card do I need the driver/app?

Or would I just need to format the card to NTFS and then be able to freely move files onto the card and delete? read and write

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only driver we recommend and one that works is the Paragon Driver (Paragon NTFS @ $19.95). The free drivers all have flaws and will cause errors and possible corruption. And yes, you need to have the driver continually loaded to read and write to NTFS from your Mac. The only way you don't need the driver is if you're running Windows.

OP
T
Reaction score
so confused-sorry

Ok thanks for that information. I am quite confused though regarding what I need to do lol :( maybe you can help as I am very unfamilair with the different formats etc windoze and iOS.

I have a 128gb sdxc memory card. I want to use this in my car stereo-pioneer avh-4000NEX.

Now from what I read any memory card over 32gb needs to be formatted into NTFS? I think I might be wrong about this .

I am so confused how I should format the card for read/write.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Now from what I read any memory card over 32gb needs to be formatted into NTFS? I think I might be wrong about this .

This is wrong. If you bought the card new, highlly unlikely that it is not already formatted as FAT32 which can be read and written to from OSX, Windows & Linux. It is also very likely the only format the Pioneer can read. Suggest you copy some of your media to it and try.

Would also suggest you grab the owner's manual for the Pioneer and have a read through the items pertaining to using the SD slot. You're going to need to learn what media formats (mp3, wav, etc) it is capable of playing. The manual is available here. Will be easier to read through online - once you have it open, press command and F. This will open a search bar at the top - just enter SD there and you can scroll through the items - there are a bunch, but start off with the index for pointers at the sections to check out.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can format a 128 GB SDXC card to FAT-32 if you so wish. It does not necessarily have to be formatted to NTFS. The key here which will determine the format, is what is compatible with your Pioneer car stereo? You need to find that out first.

Looks like Tom types faster than me. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am always learning and always fretting lol. I thought I wouldn't be able to read and write files on this due to having a Mac and then didn't know whether it would read on my car deck.

But it turns out I added files and its working on my car stereo. WIthout having to much around with formatting.

Thanks!

And I did try to find info in the pioneer manual. There are a lot of pages of info. I skimmed thru the SD chapter but no luck for this info. In fact I think it says it doesn't support any card over 32gb. I only found out via a person online who has the setup and mentioned he was using a 256gb

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.