Recommended memory cards for MacBook Air

Reaction score
Recommended accessories (memory card and cables) for MacBook Air

Hello everyone,

Since my MacBook Air has only 128 GB of disk space, I'm planning to add a memory card that would sit well with the Mac and doesn't look out of place.

Obviously, Transcend JetDrive Lite 130 looks great. Transcend JetDrive Lite 130 128GB Storage Expansion Card for 13-Inch Macbook Air (TS128GJDL130) at Amazon.com

We have two monitors, one with HDMI and another with DisplayPort connectors, so I'm planning to get these two cables so the MacBook Air could be connected to either monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CAGDUA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13K8S/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I have a spare Samsung 64GB EVO Class 10 Micro SDXC that could be used with Nifty MiniDrive or The MiniDrive.

Is there any other card and/or cables that you guys would recommend that works well for your needs? Also if there is a better place to ask these types of questions I'd appreciate if you could please let me know so I don't bother you guys.

Many thanks for your time.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We had another member some time ago who used the Nifty MiniDrive with a 128 GB SDXC card and had mixed results. I can't find the thread right now or I would link you to it. I don't know anything at all about the JetDrive Amazon is selling but it does look like something that would work with your MacBook Air.

You didn't mention which year and model MBA you have but Mac Sales (OWC) sells flash drive replacement kits for the MBA. They're going to be more expensive but are best since it replaces your current drive rather than supplement it with an external solution.

OP
L
Reaction score
We had another member some time ago who used the Nifty MiniDrive with a 128 GB SDXC card and had mixed results. I can't find the thread right now or I would link you to it. I don't know anything at all about the JetDrive Amazon is selling but it does look like something that would work with your MacBook Air.

You didn't mention which year and model MBA you have but Mac Sales (OWC) sells flash drive replacement kits for the MBA. They're going to be more expensive but are best since it replaces your current drive rather than supplement it with an external solution.

Thank you, chscag. Sorry I didn't mention about the laptop. Mine is a 2015 MacBook Air 13 with 128 GB/4 GB.

Didn't know about Mac Sales (OWC) and just had a quick chat.

This is what their representative said:

Unfortunately at this time we do not offer a SSD upgrade for this model of Mac. We should have some options later this year.

Well, I guess SD cards is the only way to go for now!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, their replacement flash drives have not yet been approved for the later models. I would go with the JetDrive for now until such time OWC releases an approved replacement for the 2015 model.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yeah, their replacement flash drives have not yet been approved for the later models. I would go with the JetDrive for now until such time OWC releases an approved replacement for the 2015 model.

Will do. Thanks again for your response, chscag.

If you could kindly take a look at these links when you have a moment, I'd greatly appreciate it:

We have two monitors (HP 2408 and Dell 2412M), one with HDMI and another with DisplayPort connectors, so I'm planning to get these two cables so the MacBook Air could be connected to either monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CAGDUA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NH13K8S/?tag=macforums0e4-20

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would recommend you go with a mini displayport to HDMI cable instead of using an adapter and a cable. Any time you have an option of a cable without using an adapter, go that route - you have fewer points of failure. Same brand as the displayport cable you've picked out has one available as well - here - I am using that specific cable with my MBA.

OP
L
Reaction score
I would recommend you go with a mini displayport to HDMI cable instead of using an adapter and a cable. Any time you have an option of a cable without using an adapter, go that route - you have fewer points of failure. Same brand as the displayport cable you've picked out has one available as well - here - I am using that specific cable with my MBA.

Great tip! Thanks a lot, bobtomay.

Went ahead and ordered both cables from the same brand.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to DisplayPort Cable in White 6 Feet - 4K Resolution Ready: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Cable Matters® Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt™ Port Compatible) to HDTV Cable in White 6 Feet: Electronics

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.