First time MacBook user. Help needed for a couple of questions

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'll be getting a 13-inch MacBook Air with 128 GB SSD and 4GB of RAM. This will be my first Mac computer and the main usage would be to just use FaceTime since most of our patients/clients have Macs.

I'm sure everyone here is well versed with the specs but here's the link, just in case:
Apple - MacBook Air - Technical Specifications

Am I right to assume 4GB + SSD is good enough for light usage since there won't be any photo editing or CPU intensive tasks?

Planning to get this mouse: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EJH6Z4/?tag=macforums0e4-20 or Amazon.com: Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Bluetooth Mouse (H3S-00003): Electronics

To connect the laptop with Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor - U2412M, I think I would need DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort. And, to connect TVs, one needs to get HDMI to Mini DisplayPort. Is it all right?

Would be great if you guys could recommend a mouse and cables that would work great for my situation.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many many thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I right to assume 4GB + SSD is good enough for light usage since there won't be any photo editing or CPU intensive tasks?

To be honest. If I was purchasing a brand new Apple computer. I wouldn't get anything with less than 8gig of ram. With the model you mentioned…that would be just a $100 upgrade.

Of course for $200 more…you could get the better 13" MacBook Air (8gig ram & 256 storage).

8gig of ram right now (2015) is a good place to be. And if you keep the computer for a couple or more years…that 8gig will be even more important.:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
To be honest. If I was purchasing a brand new Apple computer. I wouldn't get anything with less than 8gig of ram. With the model you mentioned…that would be just a $100 upgrade.

Of course for $200 more…you could get the better 13" MacBook Air (8gig ram & 256 storage).

8gig of ram right now (2015) is a good place to be. And if you keep the computer for a couple or more years…that 8gig will be even more important.:)

- Nick

Many thanks for writing back, Nick.

Sure it would be extremely nice to have 8 GB instead but I'm paying $750 shipped for the 4 GB/128 GB version.. If it was just $100 more for 8 GB, I wouldn't blink twice to get it. But it is so much more than that. :\

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sure it would be extremely nice to have 8 GB instead but I'm paying $750 shipped for the 4 GB/128 GB version.. If it was just $100 more for 8 GB, I wouldn't blink twice to get it. But it is so much more than that. :\

$750 is a very good price. Apple is selling the same unit for $999. The $100 extra for 8gig is the upgrade price from Apple.

You can manage with 4gig of ram. But 8gig is better…and it is noticeable.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
$750 is a very good price. Apple is selling the same unit for $999. The $100 extra for 8gig is the upgrade price from Apple.

You can manage with 4gig of ram. But 8gig is better…and it is noticeable.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Thanks again for your response.

Realistically, how hard is it to solder extra memory? In the future, I may try to get it expanded by third-party technicians, if need be.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Realistically, how hard is it to solder extra memory? In the future, I may try to get it expanded by third-party technicians, if need be.

I'm not even sure if that's possible since Apple does not provide "extra" module slots on the logic board. They do provide extra module slots on the 21.5" iMac but not their notebook models. Which means the existing memory would have to be removed and new modules soldered in their place. And since Apple logic boards use surface mounted components, good luck with any soldering. I agree with Nick, get the extra memory while you can. $$$

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if that's possible since Apple does not provide "extra" module slots on the logic board. They do provide extra module slots on the 21.5" iMac but not their notebook models. Which means the existing memory would have to be removed and new modules soldered in their place. And since Apple logic boards use surface mounted components, good luck with any soldering. I agree with Nick, get the extra memory while you can. $$$

Thanks, chscag. Dang!

If I didn't have a hard time justifying the $750 purchase for the limited usage, I wouldn't mind the extra cash. :/

If the computer slows down, I'll just pass it on to my wife who doesn't run more than a couple of programs at the same time.

Thanks again for your responses. Greatly appreciate them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.