Paragon NTFS stopped working

Reaction score
Paragon NTFS worked great at first, but stopped working.

I turned it on and off several times (through system preferences) because I am transferring large amounts of data from a mac external drive to my small macbook air to my NTFS drive. I have to turn Paragon NTFS off to read the mac drive, and then turn it back on to read the NTFS drive. After doing this a few times, it stopped working. Just as before I installed Paragon NTFS, the NTFS drive will show up under devices, but I cannot write to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Macbook Air
OS X Yosemite
Seagate NTFS external drive
Seagate Mac-formatted external drive

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have a solution yet but I do have a few questions to clarify things.
1. Normally if you are working with both a Mac drive and an NTFS drive you don't have to turn the Paragon driver off and on repeatedly. Were you doing this by choice or because it was not functioning properly?
2. Are you running the full version of the driver or a demo?
3. Are you running the most recent version of Yosemite (demo10.10.4) and the Paragon driver?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your questions.

1. I was turning it off and on because as soon as I installed Paragon NTFS, my Macbook air would no longer show my mac-formatted hard-drive under devices when I plugged it in.
2. I am running the free trial version of Paragon NTFS. I haven't paid for it yet.
3. I assume I'm running the most recent versions, because I just downloaded Yosemite a week ago, and Paragon NTFS yesterday.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional information. I don't have to use NTFS drives regularly so we may have to wait for others to chime in on this. The one thing that puzzles me is part one. I don't remember the Paragon driver ever stopping my Mac drives from being read.

I just checked my version of the Paragon NTFS driver (12.2.313). It is turned on and is shown as the current version of the driver. I currently have 4 Mac drives attached to my Mac and they are all being read fine.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. It's useful to know how it behaves for you. I have a support ticket in to Paragon so we'll see what they say. I would try paying for the software to see if that made a difference, but the whole point of a demo is to see if it works first, which it doesn't so far.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely worth a trouble ticket to see if they can duplicate the problem. Let us know their response / what it takes to resolve this issue. That piece of software is routinely recommended here and a number of our members are using it so I'm sure there will be some interest.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let us know what the Paragon support folks say. I'm not sure what the demo is supposed to do or not do since the full paid for install version works fine. Also, there was a recent upgrade to the Paragon NTFS driver which now supports Yosemite, however, I don't know if that includes the latest 10.10.4 update.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The latest version 12.2.313 has no issues (edit: at least that I've found) with 10.10.4 - and was installed here prior to that OS X update.

There is something else going on. There is also no reason the op should need to turn off the NTFS driver to read an HFS volume.
For sure there is no reason to have to turn it on to "read" a NTFS volume.

Using the OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock, I currently have 4 volumes (5 if you count my TC via wifi) connected including an eSATA hardware Raid NTFS volume with no issues whatsoever. Prior to the dock, I still had at least 2 volumes connected at all times since my iTunes library is external.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Are you using the same cable to connect both drives?

Why are you moving data to your Mac instead of plugging in both drives and move from one external to the other?

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Update from OP

Thanks for the interest and encouragement.

Paragon told me to run the disk utility "verify disk" on my HFS+ drive.

I ran "verify disk" on HFS+ drive. It said no problem.
I ran "verify disk" on NTFS drive. It said no problem.
I ran "verify disk" on internal hard drive. It found problems.
I ran "repair disk" on internal hard drive. It successfully repaired.
I attempted to read both NTFS and HFS+ drives at the same time. I now can.
I attempted to write to NTFS drive. I still can't. (Which is so odd because I could at first.)

I'm inclined to try reinstalling Paragon NTFS, or paying for it so I'm not using a demo version.
However, I will wait to see how Paragon advises me. I will update this thread when I find a solution.

Reaction score
I just want to chime in and say I've been having the same problem for a couple weeks now. I've been using the fully paid version for 4 years without issue. Now, the drive doesn't show up in the System Preferences preference pane. I'm also using the newest version of NTFS for Mac and Yosemite 10.10.4.

I tried verifying and repairing all disks, and turning the NTFS driver off and on, but it still doesn't work. All other HFS+ drives work fine, and I can read from the NTFS drive, just not write to it.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you contacted Paragon support to see what they say? Their support is usually responsive and should be able to answer any question about their driver.

Reaction score
Have you contacted Paragon support to see what they say? Their support is usually responsive and should be able to answer any question about their driver.

Yeah, I sent a support request today but haven't heard back yet.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi, this is the original poster getting back to you. I have been going back and forth with Paragon and I have a partial solution. This procedure makes it work, but I am hoping that this was just a diagnostic exercise and that they will get back to me with a more straight forward approach. I thought I’d share this for anyone who is experiencing this problem and needs to get it to work ASAP.

SHORT (ADVANCED) VERSION:

1. Find the Disk Identifier
a. Disk Utility > select volume > info
2. Unmount the volume
a. Disk Utility > select volume > unmount
3. Create mounting folder in terminal using the following commands
a. Mkdir /Volumes/TEST
b. Sudo mount_ufsd_NTFS /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/TEST (note: diskXsY = your Disk Identifier.)
c. Enter user password

LONG (EASY/DETAILED) VERSION:

1. Find the Disk Identifier.
a. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Select the drive in question on the left > click “info” on top menu > The disk identifier should be in this format: diskXsY, where X and Y are natural numbers. > write down the number.
2. Unmount the volume in Disk Utility.
a. Still inside Disk Utility > select the drive in question on the left > click “unmount” on top menu
3. Create a folder where the mounting will be performed into.
a. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal > type the following, noting spaces and upper case letters:
b. mkdir /Volumes/TEST
c. Press enter and wait for the next prompt. > type the following, noting spaces and upper case letters, and substituting the disk identifier you found earlier for diskXsY:
d. sudo mount ufsd NTFS /dev/diskXsY Volumes/TEST
e. Type your computer user password and press enter. The terminal won’t show that you are entering anything. Just type it and press enter anyway.

Reaction score
Hi, this is the original poster getting back to you. I have been going back and forth with Paragon and I have a partial solution. This procedure makes it work, but I am hoping that this was just a diagnostic exercise and that they will get back to me with a more straight forward approach. I thought I’d share this for anyone who is experiencing this problem and needs to get it to work ASAP.

SHORT (ADVANCED) VERSION:

1. Find the Disk Identifier
a. Disk Utility > select volume > info
2. Unmount the volume
a. Disk Utility > select volume > unmount
3. Create mounting folder in terminal using the following commands
a. Mkdir /Volumes/TEST
b. Sudo mount_ufsd_NTFS /dev/diskXsY /Volumes/TEST (note: diskXsY = your Disk Identifier.)
c. Enter user password

LONG (EASY/DETAILED) VERSION:

1. Find the Disk Identifier.
a. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility > Select the drive in question on the left > click “info” on top menu > The disk identifier should be in this format: diskXsY, where X and Y are natural numbers. > write down the number.
2. Unmount the volume in Disk Utility.
a. Still inside Disk Utility > select the drive in question on the left > click “unmount” on top menu
3. Create a folder where the mounting will be performed into.
a. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal > type the following, noting spaces and upper case letters:
b. mkdir /Volumes/TEST
c. Press enter and wait for the next prompt. > type the following, noting spaces and upper case letters, and substituting the disk identifier you found earlier for diskXsY:
d. sudo mount ufsd NTFS /dev/diskXsY Volumes/TEST
e. Type your computer user password and press enter. The terminal won’t show that you are entering anything. Just type it and press enter anyway.

Thanks for posting this. They sent me the same instructions, but when I got to the command sudo mount_ufsd_NTFS, I got the Command Not Found error. They had me reinstall NTFS for Mac, and now it works great. For the record, I never uninstalled it and it still showed as installed in the Preference Pane.

OP
C
Reaction score
Reinstall was final answer

Thanks for posting this. They sent me the same instructions, but when I got to the command sudo mount_ufsd_NTFS, I got the Command Not Found error. They had me reinstall NTFS for Mac, and now it works great. For the record, I never uninstalled it and it still showed as installed in the Preference Pane.

They finally told me to reinstall and it worked. (It was a couple weeks ago sorry I forgot to come back and post.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.