Macbook Pro keyboard issue

Reaction score
I've recently encountered a strange and extremely irritating malfunction with the keyboard on my Macbook that I was hoping for some help with.

A couple of days ago a row of keys from R to O stopped working unless the E key was held down at the same time. After removing a hair from underneath the E key, the others began functioning again, although they occasionally cut out again and I would have to press down on the E again to make them work.

However, this morning the same keys cut out again, as well as the E, thus rendering the keyboard pretty much useless. I have again cleaned under each non-functioning key but to no avail.

Is anyone able to help? There is only so long I can tolerate using the Keyboard Viewer as a substitute!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I
A couple of days ago a row of keys from R to O stopped working unless the E key was held down at the same time. After removing a hair from underneath the E key, the others began functioning again, although they occasionally cut out again and I would have to press down on the E again to make them work.

However, this morning the same keys cut out again, as well as the E, thus rendering the keyboard pretty much useless. I have again cleaned under each non-functioning key but to no avail.

A number of thoughts:

1. Is there any sort of history we should be aware of with this computer. Any previous physical damage or liquid spill damage.
2. Was this computer purchased used?
3. How old is this computer?
4. If you're cleaning "under the keys"…you must be popping off the "chiclet" style key caps. This is something that is definitely doable. But because of the delicate nature of the key caps & the plastic hinged mechanisms underneath. if this is done a lot or improperly…I could see some damage occurring easily.
5. I was going to suggest checking the "Accessibility" or "Universal Access" system preference to see if any settings were changed accidentally. But if the issue is intermittent…it's probably not this.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.