How to return to 'same sized windows' look in all-spaces/mission control view?

Reaction score
How do you get back to the 'same sized windows' for the spaces (called mission control now) view? The new default is to make the currently selected desktop space large and the others small at the top of the screen.) I want to return to the old default of all desktop windows being the same size in the 'all spaces' view.

I also can't figure out how to do 'all spaces' + 'all windows' at the same time with the new integrated version of that command. In 10.6 you could first hit all spaces and then all windows and you would be able to drag and drop any window from any desktop space to any other desktop space.

I see that 'all spaces' + 'all windows' is simply 'mission control' now but how do you get the all windows view for all spaces?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You should tell us what version of OS X you are currently running. Meanwhile, assuming 10.10 Yosemite....

How do you get back to the 'same sized windows' for the spaces (called mission control now) view? The new default is to make the currently selected desktop space large and the others small at the top of the screen.) I want to return to the old default of all desktop windows being the same size in the 'all spaces' view.

You can't.

I also can't figure out how to do 'all spaces' + 'all windows' at the same time with the new integrated version of that command. In 10.6 you could first hit all spaces and then all windows and you would be able to drag and drop any window from any desktop space to any other desktop space.

I see that 'all spaces' + 'all windows' is simply 'mission control' now but how do you get the all windows view for all spaces?

You can't. The new way of doing it is perfectly usable once you adjust. If you are on Desktop 1 and enter Mission Control, you can drag an app to any of the other desktops from right there. If you enter Mission Control, and then want to see the apps for another Desktop without leaving Mission Control, then you need to use the keyboard or trackpad shortcuts you'd normally use for switching desktops to do so. With a trackpad, it's a 3-finger swipe to the left or right. The keyboard commands that I have set are CTRL-left arrow/CTRL-right arrow.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Lifeisabeach.

The swipe when in mission control view thing switches the main window in the middle. Much like switching spaces when not in mission control view. There appears to be no way to see all the windows on all spaces at once anymore.

This isn't necessarily the end of the world. Feels weird to lose features with an OS update though. It wasn't super often that I wanted to see all my desktops at once (and equal sized). But it was more often than I'll want a tabbed Finder or some iOS thingy.

Any command line workarounds for any of this that anyone knows about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the response Lifeisabeach.

The swipe when in mission control view thing switches the main window in the middle. Much like switching spaces when not in mission control view. There appears to be no way to see all the windows on all spaces at once anymore.

Correct.

This isn't necessarily the end of the world. Feels weird to lose features with an OS update though. It wasn't super often that I wanted to see all my desktops at once (and equal sized). But it was more often than I'll want a tabbed Finder or some iOS thingy.

Any command line workarounds for any of this that anyone knows about?

They don't exist. It works how it works now, which thankfully is improved over the first round of changes they made to it in... Lion I think it was. They really mangled a lot of things with Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.