transfer music from another computer?

Reaction score
I have lots of great songs in iTunes on my Powerbook G4 (OSX10.5) and would like to transfer them to iTunes on my Macbook Pro (OSX 10.9) but am not having any luck trying to do so. I tried to export the playlist onto a flash drive and transfer that way but that didn't work. any ideas?

C

chas_m

Your G4 probably has a CD burner, so why not just burn a CD of music that you want?

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't know that it has that capability, nor have I any experience doing such, but I'll keep that in mind in case there are no other easier answers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Most people's music libraries would take multiple CDs to transfer from one computer to another. Here are a few other options:
1. Connect an appropriate sized hard drive to the G4 and copy the music to that drive. Then attach the drive to the newer Mac. Now the files can be imported into the other iTunes library.
2. If the two computers are on the same network it should be relatively easy to enable file sharing and transfer the files over the network.

C

chas_m

Does your G4 have a USB port? Buy a thumb drive of sufficient capacity and copy the song files on to that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried to export the playlist onto a flash drive and transfer that way but that didn't work. any ideas?

Don't export the playlist to the flash drive. Use the Finder and select "music", then go to your iTunes folder and copy the songs directly from the folder to the flash drive. Exporting a playlist is not going to work.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for all the suggestions.
Copying them to a pen drive and then to the new iTunes music folder did the trick.
nothing like your own collection of music to listen to. ahhh!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.