Help I Dunno What Utilities To Use!!!!!

G

good_god

Hiya, basically Ive been a power user of windows for the past few years and thank god I recently saw the light and fell in love with OSX TIGER. Anyway, its brilliant, I will never go back to windows xp for my primary os.

Ive more or less figured out all the equivalant shortcuts and commands etc.

What I havent figured out is the equivalant programs for everything. Mainly utilities

I need to know if anyone can help on a good disk defragmenter/optomiser, adaware se equivalant, virus protection (idealy not norton, i hate norton), and registry cleaner.

On XP ive been using 0&0 disk defragmenter, adaware se 1.6, avg antivirus, and registry mechanic. If those are bad then Im open to suggestions. Please help, I have a lot of stuff on my hardrive and its in desperate need of a proper defrag. Im not exacly comfortable without thse apps. Remember, I need intel imac compatible programs. Please please please please somebody help

my email is also [email protected]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
so you just recently switched? we have so much to teach you but for right now i will keep my post short and sweet with no lengthy explinations.

I need to know if anyone can help on a good disk defragmenter/optomiser
dont need one

adaware se equivalant
dont need it, there is no adaware
virus protection (idealy not norton, i hate norton)
dont need it, there are like 3 viruses...of which the latest one you needed to install yourself after giving it access to your computer by typing in your password.
and registry cleaner
there is no registry in osx, so it does not need to be cleaned

-chris

OP
K

Kokopelli

good_god said:
I need to know if anyone can help on a good disk defragmenter/optomiser, adaware se equivalant, virus protection (idealy not norton, i hate norton), and registry cleaner.

On XP ive been using 0&0 disk defragmenter, adaware se 1.6, avg antivirus, and registry mechanic. If those are bad then Im open to suggestions. Please help, I have a lot of stuff on my hardrive and its in desperate need of a proper defrag. Im not exacly comfortable without thse apps. Remember, I need intel imac compatible programs. Please please please please somebody help

my email is also [email protected]

Anti virus is not really mandatory on the Mac at this stage. I use ClamAV to scan for documents and files that are infected with Windows virii periodically but do not bother with a live scanner.

Disk defragmentation is continuous and real time on an HFS+ volume. It is not perfect (only files 20MB or smaller as I recall) but generally does the job. If you are doing a lot of work with large files you could get micromat's tech tools pro. I like it but do not use it enough to justify the money I spent on it to be honest.

Adaware, no equivalent and no need presently. There is adware that does work on OS X, but it is generally bening stuff like tracking cookies.

Registry Mechanic. There is not a registry on OS X so no need. Caveat: I do go into ~/Library and clear out old stuff by hand periodically. This is not necessary and does not help or hinder performance. I just like to keep things tidy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
coach_z said:
so you just recently switched? we have so much to teach you but for right now i will keep my post short and sweet with no lengthy explinations.

dont need one

dont need it, there is no adaware

dont need it, there are like 3 viruses...of which the latest one you needed to install yourself after giving it access to your computer by typing in your password.

there is no registry in osx, so it does not need to be cleaned

-chris

Basically everything you need in a nutshell...I use Virex just for the **** of it but have never found anything that threw up a red flag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.