Upgrade Mac Mini w/OS X Server (10.6.8 Snow L.) to OS w/out Server Software?

Reaction score
Can I upgrade a Mac Mini (2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Mem.) running OS X Server (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) to Mt. Lion or Yosemite w/out also updating to the more recent OS X Server Software (through separate purchase)? And if so, what happens to/with the existing OS X Server Software? The Mac Mini is not being used as a server and that functionality is not really needed. Probably don't need new Yosemite features either. Would Mt. Lion be an easier/safer upgrade?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Checking Apple documents can find no trace of what you ask so I guess you may well be in for a format and erase of the hard drive, erasing the server software, and a clean instal od Yosemtel so it is recommended you back everything up to an external hard drive. One thing I would suggest before moving up to Yosemite is increasing the memory in your Mini.

There are several 2.66GHz models around th 2009/1010 era and they can handle between 8gb and 16GB depending on the precise model so would go with 8GB.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Maybe it would be easier/safer to just keep the server software & upgrade it at the same time as the OS. I'm only upgrading in order to obtain/run a more recent version browser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Thanks for the info! Maybe it would be easier/safer to just keep the server software & upgrade it at the same time as the OS. I'm only upgrading in order to obtain/run a more recent version browser.

Go for the extra RAM and Yosemite.
PS- the server software is mostly just a graphic interface to server software that's already included in OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.