MacBook Air External WiFI Antenna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - Retina 5K, 27-inch SSD, 4 GHz i7, 32GB
Hi group!
I would like to have stronger WiFi signal strength on my MacBook Air while staying at hotels during traveling. Has anyone experiences with using a WiFi signal strengthener such as a USB external WiFi antenna?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi group!
I would like to have stronger WiFi signal strength on my MacBook Air while staying at hotels during traveling. Has anyone experiences with using a WiFi signal strengthener such as a USB external WiFi antenna?

Hello - wife & I take frequent trips and carry our Wi-Fi iPads - using Wi-Fi in hotels rooms can be quite frustrating (obviously, you have personal experience) - likely depends on various factors, such as the number of customers sharing the bandwidth, the distance from the emitting Wi-Fi devices, interfering walls & other structures, etc. (I've actually asked a few places to reboot their routers which has helped).

Over the years, I have carried a number of different travel routers which can attach to an ethernet cable (hopefully more reliable) and then generate a 'personal' Wi-Fi network in your room - this is ideal if the hotel is charging a fee for each connected device (e.g. a hotel we stay at in Charlotte, NC). SO, if the wired connection is reliable & strong, your Wi-Fi network will be generated by the travel router and should provide a much better wireless signal.

My current travel router is shown below, i.e. RAVPower FileHub - check Amazon for further information and reviewer comments - I've used it several times but have not tried to measure download speeds on a hotel's Wi-Fi vs. that offered by the hub (maybe next time I'll test). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-02 at 11.19.36 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.