2012 Macbook Pro Dim Green Magsafe Light

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 13.3, 2.5GHz i5, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM
Hi guys,
I recently acquired a 2012 (Model year, it was made in July 2013) Macbook Pro 13 inch. My friend had it and it started giving him issues and had cracked glass so he sold it for me for cheap. One of the issues is a dim green Magsafe light. I have seen this issue before many times, however this time it didn't go away after the "typical" steps to fix it. I removed the battery (Suggested on Apple discussions) and did that method and nothing changed, so then I did a SMC reset. Still nothing. I took apart the computer (It clearly wasn't the first time it was done, someone broke the fan connector and put a different fan in) to check for lose connections and such but there wasn't anything that stuck out as something that would cause a major issue.I put it back together and still the dim magsafe. I decided to listen to the motherboard (Sounds silly, but you can hear some issues sometimes) and there was a ticking noise, like electricity is arching. I think it is coming from the area of the Magsafe DC-in board, however when I disconnect it from the motherboard it stops. When I do that the green light goes out, but I would guess electricity would still be flowing through it. I'm wondering how I can properly check if the magsafe board is functioning properly. Whats the voltage thats supposed to be coming out of it, and where can I check it (with a multimeter)? Is there any signs of a bad magsafe in board? If anyone can help me with this issue it would be a GREAT help.
Thanks
Jake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro 13, 2001 Apple Cube, 2002 Apple Lampshade, 1990 Apple Macintosh LCII and more
Dim green light means that the power circuit is not closed and its not charging the battery, happens most of the time because of liquid damage. Check also the inside of the bottom cover for liquid traces, unless its been wiped clean. Since its showing a dim green light it means also that its most likely not the port.

Start off by pulling the logic board, taking everything off so that you only have the bare board. Use a toothbrush to clean off dust and old thermal paste. submerge it in Isopropyl alcohol (electronics grade)for about an hour. clean it with the toothbrush while submerged. Let it sit out on some paper towels overnight to dry. Reassemble your machine, use fresh thermal paste and see if it fixes the issue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just for the heck of it (since it's very easy). Try cleaning the Mag-Safe port and the Mag-Safe connector with something like a dry toothbrush. Maybe there's some sort of dirt buildup or foreign matter involved.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 13.3, 2.5GHz i5, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM
Dim green light means that the power circuit is not closed and its not charging the battery, happens most of the time because of liquid damage. Check also the inside of the bottom cover for liquid traces, unless its been wiped clean. Since its showing a dim green light it means also that its most likely not the port.

Start off by pulling the logic board, taking everything off so that you only have the bare board. Use a toothbrush to clean off dust and old thermal paste. submerge it in Isopropyl alcohol (electronics grade)for about an hour. clean it with the toothbrush while submerged. Let it sit out on some paper towels overnight to dry. Reassemble your machine, use fresh thermal paste and see if it fixes the issue.
It doesn't seem like there was a lot of liquid damage to the board and the LSI isn't red, however I think coke hit the board in a very small area (near the CPU). Im guessing Ill have to order the Isopropyl alcohol from Amazon or a chemical supplier, since CVS probably doesn't have over 90% so it will be a few days before I can submerge it.
Just for the heck of it (since it's very easy). Try cleaning the Mag-Safe port and the Mag-Safe connector with something like a dry toothbrush. Maybe there's some sort of dirt buildup or foreign matter involved.

- Nick
Ive already cleaned it twice. It didnt change anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I should of mentioned I did that in my OP.

My brother looked at the magsafe a few minutes ago and said when the board ticked the green light would flicker. Im guessing thats being caused by something short circuiting, but im not sure.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive already cleaned it twice. It didnt change anything. Thanks for the suggestion though, I should of mentioned I did that in my OP.

No problem. Great you thought of it & tried it.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.