New to mac

Reaction score
Hello all,this is my first post

never used a mac but,
I am realy thinking of getting a mac because I am sick of windows crashing all the time i have a few questions about mac

I got a digital camera my pc shows it as another drive will this work on mac?
I got a standard mp3 player again will this work on mac? (pc shows it as another drive)
I got a memory card reader will this work on mac?
and can i get a tv card for mac?
Also i got a 300GB hard drive for my PC would this work on the mac or could i use it in my external box (that also shows up as another drive)

i just recorded a program on my pc just before the end of the program WINDOWS crashed! and i lost the program

If i get a mini mac could this be used a windows desktop replacement?

Thanks for your time

Jez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
2J4EZ said:
Hello all,this is my first post

never used a mac but,
I am realy thinking of getting a mac because I am sick of windows crashing all the time i have a few questions about mac

I got a digital camera my pc shows it as another drive will this work on mac?

It depends on the camera. Here is a list of cameras compatible with Macs

2J4EZ said:
I got a standard mp3 player again will this work on mac? (pc shows it as another drive)

Yes. Here is a short list .

2J4EZ said:
I got a memory card reader will this work on mac?

Yes

2J4EZ said:
and can i get a tv card for mac?
No. As far as I know there are no inbuilt cards for minis. Here is a link to an external TV card

2J4EZ said:
Also i got a 300GB hard drive for my PC would this work on the mac or could i use it in my external box (that also shows up as another drive)

You can connect them like a local network. Then you can use it just like a normal external HD. Only problem is the speed.

2J4EZ said:
i just recorded a program on my pc just before the end of the program WINDOWS crashed! and i lost the program

If i get a mini mac could this be used a windows desktop replacement?

Thanks for your time

Jez

OS X is the best replacement you can have. It is stable, reliable and easy to use. I do think the products are bit over priced but you will get the moneys worth over the time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
novicew covered this pretty well, I would just like to say one thing.

With the cameras, basically every digital camera will work either with iPhoto, Image Capture or as a drive on the desktop.

Also with the MP3 player if it comes up as a drive on the PC it will most likely come up as a drive on the Mac and you will be able to use it just fine. But if it doesn't come up as a drive for some reason you can use XNJB

OP
Reaction score
thanks for your replys i will start saving but will keep my laptop just incase of anything thats need windows if my camera does not work then i can put the memory card in the card reader and access my pictures

thanks again starting to learn there is sooooo many OS's thats are better then windows

OP
Reaction score
just one other thing i just got my self a 19TFT flatscreen with 12s response time its got standard connector i see on the mini macs its got a DVI conector can i buy a adaptor for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
2J4EZ said:
just one other thing i just got my self a 19TFT flatscreen with 12s response time its got standard connector i see on the mini macs its got a DVI conector can i buy a adaptor for this?

The mac mini comes with a DVI to VGA adapter.

Other adapters (if necessary) are available for purchase.

--P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
Help needed

Hi, I am a new mac user and I am having trouble backing up my files with Time machine, I plug in my external hard drive and no icon comes up on the desktop for me to open, also time machines won't open if the icon isd not there?? any ideas?

Reaction score
I recently switched to mac and love it. But I did not do it because of better stabillity. A normal Windows 7 install on stable hardware should be just as stable as OS X. At least mine never crashed.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hi, I am a new mac user and I am having trouble backing up my files with Time machine, I plug in my external hard drive and no icon comes up on the desktop for me to open, also time machines won't open if the icon isd not there?? any ideas?

Why would you bump up a nearly 5+ year post and put an unrelated question there? You are better of creating a new post with your question to get it properly addressed..

How are you plugging in the external drive? USB? Does that USB port detect other devices? Is the external drive already formatted or not? With the drive plugged in, if you open up the Time Machine preferences, can you choose the external drive as a the backup location?

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.