• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Neat find for cell phone users...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Myself and my SO have both dropped our land lines altogether. Our Tivo makes it's call over our internet connection, I have an e-Fax account, and we both have cell phones. I was reading some boards today and found this : CellSocket.com. This is really cool. It lets you dock your cell phone, and then make use of store bought wired/wireless phones. So you can dock your cell phone, and pick up your wireless, and you can use a REAL phone instead of wandering around your house trying to find a good signal! They also make an antenna add-on for this so you can mount an antenna and get better recepion. Unfortunetly we just switched providers and dumped the cell phones that this thing supports, but I have a request in for info about future cellphone support :)

My cell package is great. I get free nationwide long distance, free nights & weekends, and a good amount of paid time. So this will let you make better use of the OFF peak times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hey, cool. It looks like a good solution.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Kool, I going look into to this. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Sounds expensive to me... Here we have free local calling and cheap national rates. People only use cellphones for calling when they are doing business or away from home a lot, although there is huge usage of SMS/TXT messaging.

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Expensive? I would pay at least $50 a month for local plus some sorta long distance plan if I were to go land line. Now, I pay $60 and I get unlimited national long distance, and unlimited night and weekends. Which means if I wanted I could make all my calls after 9:00pm and on the weekends for free any where in the country with no roaming charges. And I get 700 minutes peak. Which is plenty. Which is so much in fact that we have 2 phones that share the same pool of minutes. Plus we get an additional 1000 minutes mobil-to-mobil. Not to mention I can take the phone anywhere that I want and don't have to worry about checking messages, or if I missed a call. And this little gadget just extends that even more, with the ability to use a more comfortable phone in what is supposed to be the most relaxed environment there is.

EDIT: Just went to the local bell site and it seems that they offer unlimited local/long distance on land lines now for one price. Seems they have to compete with the cell phones :) Anyway, for $55 a month plus taxes and all that, they offer unlimited. So it kinda breaks even price wise, but I get the luxury of carrying my phone with me wherever and whenever I want. The benefit of a land line being that they usually never go down. Usually. Seems that the cheapest land line is like $16 a month now. And for emergencies that isn't a bad price.

Sorry for the rant :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm, I know ide use it alot during the summer when I travel, but I guess I don't have a use right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.