checkbook program compatible with Quicken 2005

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to Yosemite and discovered my old Quicken 2005 isn't compatible. The existing Quicken options are expensive and poorly reviewed, and the $15 upgrade to Quicken 2007 from a few years ago seems to have vanished. It's now $69. I'm looking for a cheap, basic check register program that will import my Quicken 2005 data. So far I've tried iCompta and Buddi, but neither one was able to import. Most of the others don't have free trials, and I'm reluctant to spend money on something that doesn't work. Anyone have success importing data from Quicken 2005 into something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello a_bear - please check out this Recent THREAD from late last year - plenty of financial app recommendations and links provided - I cannot answer your specific question about Quicken 2005 (wife does our finances and she likely transitioned from a more recent Quicken version on Windows in 2013), but hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ advice - good luck. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can import Quicken 2005 data into almost any checkbook register program since Quicken data can be exported as QIF. Here are two programs that I can personally recommend since I own both of them: (Both programs import QIF data.)

CheckBook (and CheckBook Pro) You can buy this program in the Mac App Store.

Just Checking = www.justapps.com

Both apps have trial versions that you can download and test to see if you like it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I'd read all the recent threads, which gave me good leads on alternatives to try. It was specifically the Quicken 2005 problem I was puzzled by. I'd assumed as well that it wouldn't be a problem to import, and I'm not sure why that hasn't been the case. Then I started reading that Quicken 2005 data wasn't even compatible with Quicken 2015, and I began to fear the worst.

In any case, thanks chscag, for pointing me to the trial for CheckBook. I'd been looking at it in the App Store but hadn't gone to their own website to see they offered a trial, too. And it works!

Not sure why the others haven't, but CheckBook happily imports the Quicken QIF data, and it looks to be exactly what I need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
I use checkbook , standard edition, and it does everything I want it to do. Quite different from Quicken, but after the downhill path from the windows version of Quicken I won't get it again. It imported all the data from quicken to checkbook. Easy to setup and use. $10 well spent when I got it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you like it. The developer is always available to answer questions in their forum and has kept up with the latest releases of OS X to maintain compatibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.