Bought a computer, having issues with Admin Setup

Reaction score
Hello All,
I bought a Macbook Pro from a friend recently and was trying to change the personal info. I added my username and changed it to Admin, and added my Apple ID, minus the @gmail.com. So now I can't log in under my name and I changed his login to regular user. Any help is appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Usually when a used computer is purchased. It's a good thing to completely erase & reformat the storage…and do a fresh install of the OS. Then the previous owners admin info is removed…and it's easy for the new owner to set things up.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello All,
I bought a Macbook Pro from a friend recently and was trying to change the personal info. I added my username and changed it to Admin, and added my Apple ID, minus the @gmail.com. So now I can't log in under my name and I changed his login to regular user. Any help is appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Please provide information on: 1) MBPro model/year; 2) OS X installed; and 3) What your friend did before selling the laptop to you? See this Apple Support Article about the proper steps to take when selling or giving away an old computer. Dave

Addendum: hey Nick - seems like we were typing at the same time and you beat me to the draw (just watched an old western last night - ;)) - Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank You for the replies!

It's a Macbook Pro Mid 2009
13in
2.26GHz
3GB RAM
NVIDIA 9400M 256MB
320GB
OSX 10.10.3

Thank you for the replies! I bought the machine for $300 from a friend who closed his business and was trying to get it operational for myself (I'm a DJ/Producer/Graphic Designer). Should have thought to wipe it when I bought it, as he didn't know much about computers, and I should have known to do this.
I feel like i'm stuck at the moment. Will I be able to wipe the machine with no Admin rights?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Macbook Pro Mid 2009
13in
2.26GHz
3GB RAM
NVIDIA 9400M 256MB
320GB
OSX 10.10.3

Thank you for the replies! I bought the machine for $300 from a friend who closed his business and was trying to get it operational for myself (I'm a DJ/Producer/Graphic Designer). Should have thought to wipe it when I bought it, as he didn't know much about computers, and I should have known to do this.
I feel like i'm stuck at the moment. Will I be able to wipe the machine with no Admin rights?

Hi again - you might first want to try to Reset Forgotten Admin Password which may get you into the OS - then reboot into Recovery Mode where you should be able to reinstall Yosemite and then start as if the machine is 'new'.

Now despite your low cost for this old laptop - check HERE for full specs - you might have problems relative to your needs, such as: 1) Yosemite really requires 4 GB RAM minimal and here 8 GB is recommended (your laptop can be upgraded to that latter amount, but more $$); 2) 320 GB storage is not much if you are doing graphic design and need to store LARGE images on the HD; and 3) old video technology is present, so the same consideration as in the previous concern. SO, do you want to invest more money in this machine or consider a more recent or a new one - just my thoughts - good luck. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks RadDave -
I already went through those steps. I decided to try and use my Apple ID for the admin, but forgot to add @gmail.com, so despite knowing my password, it doesn't allow access because of the failure to add the @... Plus, I've already changed his user ID to a regular user, so I can't make system changes under his ID.
As far as specs go, I am definitely upgrading to 8GB Ram and am thinking of getting a newer logic board and processor and transplanting. Am thinking of using this newly purchased machine for Photoshop and Final Cut, etc., and my other Macbook Pro (2011) for my music production/dj stuff.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As far as specs go, I am definitely upgrading to 8GB Ram and am thinking of getting a newer logic board and processor and transplanting. Am thinking of using this newly purchased machine for Photoshop and Final Cut, etc., and my other Macbook Pro (2011) for my music production/dj stuff.

I suggest doing a good bit of research here before moving forward with that aspect of the project. First there is a distinct possibility that you won't be able to swap out the logic board for a newer faster one. Some of our other members can provide more information on that than I can.

Secondly, if you can swap to a faster logic board it probably won't be cheap unless you find a really good deal somewhere. Given the going rate for most Mac logic boards plus the cost of additional memory one could be well on the way to a newer machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply SlyDude,
I've been looking around and it looks like it will end up costing around $900 (including the $300 originally spent).
For now, I just want to be able to use the thing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the reply SlyDude,
I've been looking around and it looks like it will end up costing around $900 (including the $300 originally spent).
For now, I just want to be able to use the thing.

You're welcome. Sounds like you are going to put some thought into it before spending too much dough.

I learned that lesson the hard way. One of my previous Macs was a 300 MHz G3 desktop. By the time I was done with it I had added memory, swapped out the processor, and swapped the CD drive for a DVD burner. By the time I was done it was faster but not enough to justify the cost. I'd have been better off using the money for a new machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
We live, we learn brother. Lol. Just like my issue here. I'm hoping I can get this resolved. I may just have to go buy another HD. Hopefully not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I've been looking around and it looks like it will end up costing around $900 (including the $300 originally spent).

Can we assume that you're not planning on spending this kind of money on a 2009 13" MacBook Pro? Just wanted to be sure.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RadDave -
I already went through those steps. I decided to try and use my Apple ID for the admin, but forgot to add @gmail.com, so despite knowing my password, it doesn't allow access because of the failure to add the @... Plus, I've already changed his user ID to a regular user, so I can't make system changes under his ID.

Hello - well, did not know that you had already tried the suggestions in my two links - but just curious, what happened when you went through the 'Reset' and the 'Recovery Boot'? Might help others who may be needing to use these OS X features - thanks. Dave :)

OP
B
Reaction score
@Pigoo - Technically it will end up being a newer model with the shell of an older. It will end up being a 2011/2012.

@RadDave - When I finally got back to the login screen, it still seemed to want the Password to the Apple ID that technically doesn't exist. (Since I forgot the @gmail.com) So even when I try to use the newly edited password, it still defaults to wanting that Apple ID's password.
Don't forget to add the @<youremailprovider.com> if you're wanting to use your Apple ID people!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Pigoo - Technically it will end up being a newer model with the shell of an older. It will end up being a 2011/2012.

The problem with this strategy is...a used 13" 2011 MacBook Pro with 8gig of ram is only worth around $450. So spending $900 (plus the $300 already spent purchasing it) isn't a good investment!;)

In fact...you can get this refurbished 13" 2012 MacBook Pro with 8gig of ram...and 12 months of Applecare for $929:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Where are you getting these prices? I'd love to know, any direction is appreciated brotha! It would actually be $600 for me, plus the $300 i already spent. Just to be clear.

Never mind, just saw the link. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

(Since I forgot the @gmail.com)
You've said that three times and I'm still not understanding what that has to do with it. I have an AppleID that has no @ anything, and it works just fine. And my login name has nothing to do with the AppleID, so I'm not seeing the connection. Can you expand on what you think is the problem with the missing @gmail.com for me? Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
@...

@RadDave - When I finally got back to the login screen, it still seemed to want the Password to the Apple ID that technically doesn't exist. (Since I forgot the @gmail.com) So even when I try to use the newly edited password, it still defaults to wanting that Apple ID's password.
Don't forget to add the @<youremailprovider.com> if you're wanting to use your Apple ID people!

Most of us are lost. Setting up a user account in OS X and the password for that user account to login to OS X have nothing to do with an AppleID. There is no "@email.anything" required to set up a user account. While I am sure that some users have the same password for their login and their AppleID, the password required at the login screen is the login password, not the AppleID password.

I would suggest you go back to RadDave's link to reset your login password.
If that computer does not have OS X 10.10, do a google search for the version of OS X you do have installed. They will all be similar though.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.