Yahoo Serach Engine Hijacked

Reaction score
Hello All,
Yahoo search engine hijacked all my home pages on Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome. I've tried to go to settings in all three and change the homepage back along with deleting the history but no luck. Thank you for the help.

Fred

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We need more details than this. What version of OS X are you using? What do you mean by "hijacked" - did the browsers get permanently set to Yahoo?

In any case, download AdwareMedic and run that. It's possible that you've got some adware that's resetting your browser prefs.

OP
A
Reaction score
MacBook Air is running Yosemite version 10.10.3. Whenever i open up any of the three browsers Yahoo comes up. I have downloaded Ad-aware Medic and ran it, still does it. Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What happens when you try to change it? Does it appear to work? What have you installed recently (particularly the software that was installed just before this started happening)?

OP
A
Reaction score
Change the home page in settings and works once, haven't installed any software lately. Haven't installed Java. Thank you

C

chas_m

Sure sounds like you updated Java lately ... is there a Java control panel in your System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
MacBook Air is running Yosemite version 10.10.3. Whenever i open up any of the three browsers Yahoo comes up. I have downloaded Ad-aware Medic and ran it, still does it. Thank you.

Sounds to me like you set Yahoo as your homepage. That's an easy fix from the preferences for each browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.