Some movies won't play in itunes

Reaction score
Good day, my sons macbook pro 13" will not play any movie with a menu in itunes. It does play every other hd movie we own. My mbp plays all movies from my server. (mac mini I bought last oct.) My girlfriend Imac plays all movies fine as well. I'm not sure what to do next. I have checked and all 4 macs have the same os and itunes. The movies in question I have deleted from the mini and redown load. still will not work.
Also I am not sure if this is the correct forum. Thanks Scott

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you tell us the format the movies are in that do not play? In case you didn't know…video files can be in different formats.

Just to be sure. Are these movies being played from a DVD…or from a video file on the computer?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry, all hd and bought in itunes. if I would have anything from a dvd it would be converted into quicktime. it is only itunes movies with menus and or extras

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info.

I was rereading the original post…and it sounds like there are 4 computers involved. All with the same OS version…and all with the same iTunes version. 3 of the computers have no problems playing these movies…and of course the one in question is having a problem.

So two thoughts:

1. I wonder if something is installed on this MacBook Pro that's "confusing" things (something that's not installed on the other computers).
2. I wonder if there's some sort of authorization, Apple ID, or iTunes account issue. I'm not 100% sure how many different computers can play the same movie purchased via iTunes.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
(1) That's what I'm thinking, but I can't figure it out. I've been a Mac guy for 12yrs. I just can't figure this one out.

(2) I have a family sharing in itunes/icloud. I think the only thing that limits movies in itunes is you can't have two computers trying to play the same movie at the same time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(1) That's what I'm thinking, but I can't figure it out. I've been a Mac guy for 12yrs. I just can't figure this one out.

Since this is your son's computer. Who the heck knows what could possibly have been installed.;)

The super confusing thing is (if I understand things correctly). On this computer…some movies play fine…and others don't.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
very true, but yes if it's just a hd movie it plays fine. but if has itune extra's or a menu, nothing will play.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Restart the computer. I have this issue every once in awhile where some random movies will decide they won't play and just sit there with a black screen. On occasion I'v had to restart twice. I just went through this today where all the movies with iTunes extras would not play until after a restart.

(And I tried troubleshooting it, including redownloading a couple of them, before I remembered what I did last time. I even had them play fine streaming via Airplay to the AppleTV, but wouldn't play on the computer.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just had several of the movies with iTunes Extras not play again this morning. Based on what I've done in the last couple of days, am guessing it has to do with one of the many video converters I use here - I'm suspecting MakeMKV at the moment - but, I've had multiple converters running. Again, a restart got them all playing.

If a restart is not getting them working on only a single machine, I'd first try creating a new user account and see if they work there. Then start looking at other video codecs that may have been installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.