Power bank shut down MacBook pro

Reaction score
Anyone had this problem and is there a solution, it won't turn on and when charger pug in just a faint green light?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you mean by "Power bank shut down MacBook Pro"? What is a "Power bank"?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its a charger, an extra power source.

Are you talking about this?:

MC461

If so…maybe it's bad/faulty. Of course something could be wrong with the computer too.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
No it's like a booster if you don't have your charger.
Thank you anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By 'power bank' are you referring to an Uninterrupted Powr Supply (UPS)? If so you have to have it plugged into the mains power and in case of a blackout/brown out supply power for you to save everything and shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
A power bank charger is like an small supplemental external battery. I don't see how it would cause an issue. The only ones I have any experience with are not powerful enough to be of benefit to a MB Pro. They are usually used to charge phones.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Lisa Your post got me to thinking. Finally the old gray matter remember seing battery packs intended for notebooks. Same concept as the phone charger gizmo but larger capacity such as this. Never tried one myself.

@OP Have you tried plugging the Mac into the correct charger to see if the Mac's battery charges. If the gadget you used ran to far down the Mac would run off if its own battery and eventually discharge enough that the machine shuts down. Once that happens I bet the battery pack you mentioned does not provide enough juice. Which one did you use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@OP Have you tried plugging the Mac into the correct charger to see if the Mac's battery charges. If the gadget you used ran to far down the Mac would run off if its own battery and eventually discharge enough that the machine shuts down. Once that happens I bet the battery pack you mentioned does not provide enough juice. Which one did you use.

This is exactly what I was thinking. These "Power Banks" are usually just a temporary or emergency solution to extend battery runtime. Eventually all batteries run down…and the computer needs to be plugged in with the original wall charger (pictured above).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.