USB Drive read only can't be formatted

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 64gb USB drive that switched (by itself?) to "read only", I can't format the drive in Disk Utility (gray words).
I've tried with terminal (sudo)
I've tried in a Windows 7 (regedit section), D.O.S. DISKPART & clear...format etc and didn't work.
The Windows 7 (in a PC) doesn't recognise the drive, I've installed couple of apps that at least they pointed the drive is there but don't allow me to initialise or format.
At the moment I've the drive plugged in my iMac, when I go to info it says:

MS-DOS (FAT32)
Capacity: 64GB
Available 49GB
Used 15GB (I've some data there and they work fine)
Sharing & Permissions: Read Only

I did a "Verify Disk" (Disk Utility) and this is what I got:

Verifying volume “PENDRIVE64G”Verifying file system.** /dev/rdisk1s1
** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT
** Phase 2 - Checking Directories
** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters
Free space in FSInfo block (1494062) not correct (1494063)
Fix? no
119 files, 47810016 KiB free (1494063 clusters)
File system check exit code is 8.Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

It says "Click to repair disk" but it is grey and doesn't allow me, pls help! it is a 64GB one and don't want it ends up inside the bin!! thanks!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the 64 GB flash drive does not have a read only switch, (check to make sure) then I suspect the drive is defective. Flash drives are easily corrupted especially if they have been improperly ejected.

OP
G
Reaction score
If the 64 GB flash drive does not have a read only switch, (check to make sure) then I suspect the drive is defective. Flash drives are easily corrupted especially if they have been improperly ejected.

it's strange because in PC (Win 7) can't be read, although is FAT32 format but can be read in OSX, (read only).

Is this a behaviour the drive is dead and ready for the coffin? I thought if it's dead I wouldn't read any of the files inside but I can? :(

Any hope?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure sounds like your 64 GB Flash Drive is defective. If it can't be read by Windows 7 and the drive is formatted to FAT-32, it's very likely corrupt. Keep trying, who knows, you may get lucky and it will come alive again. If the drive is read only from your Mac, you still should be able to copy data off it. Have you tried?

OP
G
Reaction score
It sure sounds like your 64 GB Flash Drive is defective. If it can't be read by Windows 7 and the drive is formatted to FAT-32, it's very likely corrupt. Keep trying, who knows, you may get lucky and it will come alive again. If the drive is read only from your Mac, you still should be able to copy data off it. Have you tried?

I can copy those files on the desktop but can't copy any file from the desktop to the drive, actually the files that are inside are not important (have same files in the HDD), what were important was to try to install Win 7 in bootcamp and have to do it from the USB driver (the SD is not working). But yes...I guess is time to start asking for prices and keep it beside for a while till have any miraculous solution to bring it back to life...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.