Mac 2011 Word - Mail Merge Dynamic subject line

Reaction score
Trying to create dynamic subject line using VBA I found the following but its based on being applied to Windows:

Code:
Dim WithEvents wdapp As Application
Dim EMAIL_SUBJECT As String
Dim FIRST_RECORD As Boolean

Private Sub Document_Open()

Set wdapp = Application
    ThisDocument.MailMerge.ShowWizard 1

End Sub

Private Sub Document_Close()

Set wdapp = Nothing

End Sub

Private Sub wdapp_MailMergeBeforeRecordMerge(ByVal Doc As Document, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim i As Integer

With ActiveDocument.MailMerge

If FIRST_RECORD = True Then 
            EMAIL_SUBJECT = .MailSubject
            FIRST_RECORD = False
        Else .MailSubject = EMAIL_SUBJECT
        End If

i = .DataSource.DataFields.Count

Do While i > 0
            .MailSubject = Replace(.MailSubject, "<" & .DataSource.DataFields(i).Name & ">", .DataSource.DataFields(i).Value, , , vbTextCompare)
            i = i - 1
        Loop

End With

End Sub

Private Sub wdapp_MailMergeBeforeMerge(ByVal Doc As Document, ByVal StartRecord As Long, ByVal EndRecord As Long, Cancel As Boolean)

FIRST_RECORD = True

End Sub

Private Sub wdapp_MailMergeAfterMerge(ByVal Doc As Document, ByVal DocResult As Document)

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MailSubject = EMAIL_SUBJECT

End Sub

Mail Merge - Dynamic subject line? - Access World Forums

I have tested this on Mac 2011 Word and it does not work. Anyone know how, or if the VBA needs modifying for Mac. Its beyond my VBA skills.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
VBA macros designed to be used in Windows Word do not work when applied to Word on a Mac. You'll need to convert the Macro or use Apple Script. Good chance for you to learn VBA. ;D

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,

VBA macros designed to be used in Windows Word do not work when applied to Word on a Mac. You'll need to convert the Macro or use Apple Script.

Do you know of any good beginner guides, recommended reads for converting VBA macros from MS to AppleMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

The best document for learning purposes is here. Take note though that it's very comprehensive and large. You might want to wait to see what MS gives us in Office 2016. I'm currently testing Office 2016 (Preview) but haven't had a chance to play around with the new VBA. Supposedly it will be standard between versions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.