• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

House

Reaction score
Well after over a year it looks like we might finally be selling the house (fingers and toes crossed).
Didn't get asking but close enough.
Now we get to start looking for a smaller one. Got 5 maybes.
We get this done and pay off some bills and I can finally get a new Mac.
Put this HP aside and use it for gaming and Second Life.
I'm thinking a Pro but possibly a 27" Retina iMac. Really haven't decided yet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congratulations Craig. At what point in the process are you at the moment? Did you get an offer…and accepted it? Or are you further along in the process?

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Got an offer. Going to sign papers tomorrow. They want to close in August.
It seems like they really want it. They can have it, I'm ready for something much smaller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The housing market around here is the pits. What I don't understand is folks grabbing up the new homes which are going for an average price of $350K and higher. Lesser priced units (older homes) are not selling at all. I guess with interest rates so low the more expensive homes are selling well. My house is too big for us also but I have no intension of selling, moving, and buying something else. Getting too old for that stuff anymore.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The housing market around here is the pits. What I don't understand is folks grabbing up the new homes which are going for an average price of $350K and higher. Lesser priced units (older homes) are not selling at all. I guess with interest rates so low the more expensive homes are selling well. My house is too big for us also but I have no intension of selling, moving, and buying something else. Getting too old for that stuff anymore.

The whole market has changed on us . . . no one seems to want the smaller (under 2000 sqft) homes anymore.
I remember, starting out that 1400 sqft was a decent sized home. Kids today don't see it that way. :p

We're empty nesters now. So, our house is bigger than we need, but at just under 2000 sqft, isn't real attractive to house hunters.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
This one is right at 1700. The ones we're looking at range from 1000 to 750 sq. ft.
I just turned 61 and the wife is 6 mos. older. We don't need such a big house, even with 3 dogs.
Getting lazy in our old age I guess. All the brand new ones around here are huge brick things. Some could be called mansions they're that big.
Property taxes are going to be a ***** for them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I guess with interest rates so low the more expensive homes are selling well.
I'm guessing that this is, in part, because people can get more (seemingly) for their dollar and/or they want something that will have significantly more value in the long run. Then again, I've never purchased a home. ;)

I remember, starting out that 1400 sqft was a decent sized home. Kids today don't see it that way. :p
I think, generally, I would agree - people in a younger generation (me?) often seem to want more than people who are older. That said, I think part of this also depends on where you live which shapes what you expect from a place. Living downtown, people don't expect quite as much as they do in the suburbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have a son and a nephew who bought homes over 2,500 sq. ft. - with no kids, yet. Our house is about 2,300 (our second house - first one was smaller) and we have lots of extra space, but no plans to downsize.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can certainly understand why younger folks (Bryan) would want a larger home. It's better to have a larger home that can accommodate family expansion. I can remember our first home - a three bedroom of about 1400 Sq Ft which was fine for a small family. But as the kids start coming and you accumulate "stuff", you can quickly outgrow a small home. Right now we're living in a 4 bedroom 2200 Sq Ft home which is too large for my wife and I especially when dealing with the upkeep.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can certainly understand why younger folks (Bryan) would want a larger home. It's better to have a larger home that can accommodate family expansion. I can remember our first home - a three bedroom of about 1400 Sq Ft which was fine for a small family. But as the kids start coming and you accumulate "stuff", you can quickly outgrow a small home. Right now we're living in a 4 bedroom 2200 Sq Ft home which is too large for my wife and I especially when dealing with the upkeep.
Ah yes, the old start small, go bigger and downsize. I've seen this with my parents, who were in an apartment, moved to the suburbs to get a bigger home and then slowly downsized to the bungalow that they now have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We're in the same house we bought in 1977 - a 2400 sq ft ranch style w/ a full basement and a large add-on porch - 4 bedrooms, using 3 at the moment - only one son who left over 20 years ago - retired and almost 70 y/o but still enjoy the house and the locale - we have a yard service and cleaning gals who come in every 2 weeks - not sure what the market would be here but 'new' houses w/ larger kitchens & bathrooms (and better electronics wiring) seem be the attraction. Dave :)

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Ok, for all that have been keeping up with this (all none of you ;D) we now have a new (to us) house.
We closed Friday, spent a week (almost died from the heat) moving, finally got the power turned on today and are enjoying the AC.
We went from 1700 Sq Ft. to 780 Sq. Ft. so currently cant walk in the living room at all.
Will take a while to get settled in so will be busy for a few weeks. At least we wont be bored.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, at least you should get great WiFi connectivity throughout the house with just one router. We did the opposite and had to purchase two boosters to get coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We went from 1700 Sq Ft. to 780 Sq. Ft. so currently cant walk in the living room at all.

Congrats Craig on the new place! I know exactly how you feel. I downsized from a large home to a new place that's probably 33% or less the size of the old place. Boxes...boxes everywhere…floor to ceiling. I also have three self-storage units (which ain't cheap). Trying to liquidate as much as possible as fast as possible. In order to get rid of the storage units…and have a "normal" livable home!

Hang in there…one box at a time!;)

- Nick

p.s. Another BIG positive of a smaller place (in addition to what Rod mentioned)…hopefully those utility bills will be much smaller!:)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Congrats on the new house . . . a big uncongrats on the moving and unpacking. ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.