Computer will not restart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hold down the power button until it turns off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
why wont it restart? is it frozen?

make sure that all your applications are quit and that you have not minimized your update windows telling you to restart after your update?

check out activity monitor make sure everything isnt frozen, or you can command-option-esc

um, worse comes to worse you can accidentally unplug it, or hold down your power button until it shuts off
-chris

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Ok I held the power button down, shut it off, then turned it back on. Is this bad for the computer?

Reaction score
No, this is the same way as going into a menu and then turn it off! It does not do anything to the Mac.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Ok good...Just want to keep the apple of my eye in good care. :p

K

Kokopelli

digg said:
No, this is the same way as going into a menu and then turn it off! It does not do anything to the Mac.

Not quite. If you hold down the power button for 5-10 secs, can't remember how long it is precisely, that shuts down the system without going through the normal shutdown procedure.

It is not terrible but I would not recommend shutting your system down in that manner unless the OS is locked.

Pressing the powerbutton briefly and selecting shutdown is the same as selecting it from the menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.