iPhone update?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just recently I had to rebuild my iPhone, I wont go into the details but this time I decided to start afresh and set it up as a new phone, before it was a restored version of my previous iPhone.
So despite all of the relogging into apps and resetting of preferences it was a worthwhile experience.
BUT now I notice some subtle diferences in the iOS that I may have missed before but this is the same iOS as I had originally namely 8.3 I dont think i missed any updates but...
So I noticed that the swipe function on emails (Mail) had changed to Archive, Flag and More, I wanted to return it to Trash, Flag and More but when I went to Mail settings I found a new menu (see attached) for swipe actions. Now some of my messages have the old setup and some have the new setup and there seems no way to change this.
Any ideas?

IMG_0010_1.PNG

IMG_0009_1.PNG

IMG_0008_1.PNG

C

chas_m

The "archive" option you're seeing is because you're checking email from your Gmail account, rather than a normal IMAP or POP account. GMail doesn't allow you to trash things, it would seem.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks chas, but I think I have just worked it out. Although I still dont recal seeing the Swipe Options window before.
So the answer was selecting each account individually from Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calandars, going to Advanced, then selecting the actions in Mailbox Behaviors for Archive and Deleted Mailboxes separately. So for Deleted Mailbox click and select Trash.
In each open Mail Message you will now see a Trash Bin at the bottom instead of a File icon and swiping right to left in preview now shows More, Flag and Trash meaning all messages can now be Trashed with two actions instead of three.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.