Connecting Yosemite to a Samsung TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
I have scores of movies on my MAC OS X Yosemite I would like to be able to watch them on my wide-screen. My tele has an HDMI connection. Would someone kindly recommend the appropriate cable to purchase to be able to do this...Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have scores of movies on my MAC OS X Yosemite I would like to be able to watch them on my wide-screen. My tele has an HDMI connection. Would someone kindly recommend the appropriate cable to purchase to be able to do this...Cheers!

Well, I'll bite - ;) Why not just an HDMI cable like the one below - plug one HDMI adapter into the computer and the other into the HDMI port on your TV - select the proper input on the TV and HD audio & visual should be mirrored on your TV. Dave :)

hdmi-cable-406-p.jpg

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Well, I'll bite - ;) Why not just an HDMI cable like the one below - plug one HDMI adapter into the computer and the other into the HDMI port on your TV - select the proper input on the TV and HD audio & visual should be mirrored on your TV. Dave :)

There is no port for the cable which is shown in your pic for an OS X Yosemite. Both ends are HDMI connectors. There has to be a different male end for the computer. :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There is no port for the cable which is shown in your pic for an OS X Yosemite.

Please let me suggest. Don't refer to your computer as "an OS X Yosemite". This is the computers OS…and the question you're asking refers to hardware.:) It's great to know that the computer is running Yosemite. But the installed OS really isn't that important in answering this question.:)

Both ends are HDMI connectors. There has to be a different male end for the computer. :(

According to your Mac-Forums profile you have a 2.3ghz 15" retina MacBook Pro. if this is correct…then your MacBook Pro should have an HDMI port.

If this is not the computer in question…then you should definitely tell us what exact model computer we are talking about:)…and please...stop referring to it as "an OS X Yosemite".;)

- Nick

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please let me suggest. Don't refer to your computer as "an OS X Yosemite". This is the computers OS…and the question you're asking refers to hardware.:) It's great to know that the computer is running Yosemite. But the installed OS really isn't that important in answering this question.:)

According to your Mac-Forums profile you have a 2.3ghz 15" retina MacBook Pro. if this is correct…then your MacBook Pro should have an HDMI port.

If this is not the computer in question…then you should definitely tell us what exact model computer we are talking about:)…and please...stop referring to it as "an OS X Yosemite".;)

- Nick

Sorry mate, my mistake. I have three MAC's and my newest one is a Yosemite with a solid state drive. The older MAC's have all the connections on the left side. The new on has the HDMI connection on the right side. Yup, I found it. Duh! :[

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new on has the HDMI connection on the right side. Yup, I found it. Duh! :[

Awesome.:) Great we were talking about your newest Mac that has an HDMI port. Then you won't need an additional adapter for the cable RadDave suggested.:)

- Nick

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome.:) Great we were talking about your newest Mac that has an HDMI port. Then you won't need an additional adapter for the cable RadDave suggested.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick and the rest of the boyos.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I find it quite incredible that Apple provided a HDMI port on those MBPros, yet for some reason omitted an Ethernet port.

Oh well, scratch head and wonder why… :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find it quite incredible that Apple provided a HDMI port on those MBPros, yet for some reason omitted an Ethernet port.

The reason is simple: Apple wants you to buy one of these. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Oh well, scratch head and wonder why… :(

My theory is…with the prevalence of WiFi...folks in 2015 are much less likely to use ethernet. And with portable computers (laptops)…folks are much less likely to use an ethernet port than desktop users.

I think that this would be the trend in 2015 (previous years as well).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Very true. The more Apple removes from a computer…the lower the purchase price can be.

Or another way of looking at it. Why charge folks for hardware they don't need or will never use (ethernet port). But also great Apple still provides a solution for those folks that do what it.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Just over 2 years ago when my MBPro was purchased, I also bought the USB-Ethernet adapter below - have never used it! :) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-06-14 at 6.17.04 PM.png

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suspect that these decisions are based on both cost reductions and a good amount of market research. Lets just take the example of soldered on memory for example. I personally like the option of user upgradeable memory because I tend to keep my systems for quite a while. If most of my computer using friends are any indication though the typical user doesn't upgrade memory over the reasonable life of the machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lets just take the example of soldered on memory for example.

In case anyone is wondering, this is not limited to Apple's line of computers. The same is being done by a number of PC manufacturers as well. Only the top PCs (Alienware, Sager, etc) are offering upgradeable machines. And Sly is correct, many folks never upgrade memory over the life of their machine. We even see that in our forums with older Macs.

C

chas_m

Having done some actual serious research into this question (admittedly some years ago, but I've seen nothing to indicate that anything's changed ...), the answer to "what percentage of consumer computer (Mac or PC) owners upgrade ANYTHING hardware-wise in their machines," the answer was less than five percent. RAM was the most common thing upgraded (this was back when nearly all computers could have their RAM upgraded), but it was shockingly rarely done (well, shocking to me anyway).

Power-users *continually* and *vastly* over-estimate how many of them there are among the computer-using population.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Power-users *continually* and *vastly* over-estimate how many of them there are among the computer-using population.

Exactly - the first thing I do to any computer I buy - At the same time, I'm not sure I have ever worked on a friends, co-workers or relatives computer that had anything other than the original stock configuration - that is, up to the point they first brought it to me - in the last 25 years. The vast majority (over 90%) have zero backups the first time they bring a computer to me either. The other 10% typcially have only pics backed up onto a DVD or an online picture site.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.