Charging Macbook Air from car charger

Reaction score
Based on my research, using a cigarette lighter adapter to charge an Air is not recommended. The car's circuit breakers might trip or the adapter itself would overheat.
I did read about DC to AC to DC inverters.
What about a Mophie? It probably wouldn't charge the battery, but would maintain the charge.
What does Apple recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Based on my research, using a cigarette lighter adapter to charge an Air is not recommended. The car's circuit breakers might trip or the adapter itself would overheat.
I did read about DC to AC to DC inverters.
What about a Mophie? It probably wouldn't charge the battery, but would maintain the charge.
What does Apple recommend?

Personally, I don't trust the lighter adapters for charging even iDevices - my wife's phone blew a few fuses on my previous car - I bought her a small battery pack that can charge her new iPhone or iPad Mini at least twice while in the car. SO, that would not be an option for me.

But, there are more powerful battery packs that can charge a laptop - keep in mind the wattage needed (my MBPro has a 60 W charger) - there was a previous thread from a poster asking about the BatteryBox (shown below) that would serve your needs - not cheap (believe about $200) - assume that you've been googling similar products?

As to Apple's recommendation, this forum is not supported by Apple, so unless you join one w/ Apple technicians responding or visit an Apple store to ask your question, I cannot address your query - maybe others can? Let us know what you decide - good luck in your selection. Dave :)

P.S. I have a battery pack for my iPad, but have not used one w/ my laptop, so the above is not a personal recommendation for the product mentioned.

BatteryBox.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I don't trust the lighter adapters for charging even iDevices - my wife's phone blew a few fuses on my previous car - I bought her a small battery pack that can charge her new iPhone or iPad Mini at least twice while in the car. SO, that would not be an option for me.

I haven't had any problems charging our iPhones from both of our cars, however, I would not trust charging our iPad which requires more current. Most auto cigar lighter circuits use at least a 5 amp fuse and usually higher than that. If your wife's iPhone was blowing the fuse there may have been another load on the circuit at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I haven't had any problems charging our iPhones from both of our cars, however, I would not trust charging our iPad which requires more current. Most auto cigar lighter circuits use at least a 5 amp fuse and usually higher than that. If your wife's iPhone was blowing the fuse there may have been another load on the circuit at the same time.

Well, that's what I thought but now that you mentioned the above, she charged her pre-iPhone 6 and I believe her iPad Mini, so might have been the issue? However, the battery
pack (below) has worked out well (as long as she remembers to charge it!) - believe that I bought this 'on sale' from those MacForums ads, a good deal as I recall - :) Dave

Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 11.38.46 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.