I'm Getting Inundated with Spam Emails!!!

Reaction score
I am getting hundreds of spam advertisement emails. How can I get rid of them or redirect them to the trash? I asked Verizon about changing email addresses, but they said I could just make a new one under my account. they said I could have four. Nice, but what happens when they all get this way??? Help!!!

M

MacInWin

I use a spam filtering service from pobox.com. My email address is [email protected], then they filter the spam and forward it to my "real" address. Only a very, very few people have my real address. If the real address gets spammed, I just tell pobox to redirect to a different one. Costs $20/year for the service, I've been using it for about 10 years.

OP
R
Reaction score
I use a spam filtering service from pobox.com. My email address is [email protected], then they filter the spam and forward it to my "real" address. Only a very, very few people have my real address. If the real address gets spammed, I just tell pobox to redirect to a different one. Costs $20/year for the service, I've been using it for about 10 years.

Thanks, I will check it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A good ISP will automatically filter spam from your mail, there should be no need to use a pay service. Gmail which is what I use very rarely lets a spam message get through. There are other ISPs who also effectively filter mail. Even Microsoft's "Hot Mail" does a very good job of filtering. I also have Verizon mail because of my FIOS account but never use it because their email service is inferior.

Reaction score
You have to be smart about this. Anytime a site asks for an email address, if it's someplace you don't plan on coming back to, or someplace that wont let you download without it, give them a throwaway address.
There are several to choose from. I like Mailinator. You can use it as a one time address and never see spam from there.
Only give your real address to things you care about.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=throwaway+email

M

MacInWin

A good ISP will automatically filter spam from your mail, there should be no need to use a pay service. Gmail which is what I use very rarely lets a spam message get through. There are other ISPs who also effectively filter mail. Even Microsoft's "Hot Mail" does a very good job of filtering. I also have Verizon mail because of my FIOS account but never use it because their email service is inferior.
While you are correct in your statement that there SHOULD BE no need for a pay service, the reality is that Pobox does a much better job at it than my ISP (Comcast/Xfinity). And in addition to spam filtering, the forwarding service lets me change mail providers without having to tell everyone with my email that I've changed. They forward my mail to me wherever I tell them to. So for that $20/year I get superior spam filtering and three aliases to be forwarded to my real email. (I use one of them for those sites that require email verification, then have them block that email from ever being forwarded. When I next use it, I go to the pobox website and release the email I need to do the verification, leave the rest blocked.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Have you thought about using Gmail.
They have very good spam filtering.

Reaction score
My advise will be to Blacklist obvious spammers, use spam filter (there are many spam filters available from which you can select) and also if possible sign up for Gmail

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.