Super drive ain't so super

Reaction score
How come Apple hasn't upped the super drive so it will play Blu Rays?
My God it's 2015, it's kinda a thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Maybe you haven't noticed...check Apple.com. The ONLY new model computer Apple currently sells with a built-in optical drive is a 13" non-retina MacBook Pro…and this is a 2012 model computer. There are no 2015 model computers with a built-in optical drive.

Apple doesn't care about blu-ray…because Apple doesn't care about optical drives!;)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My God it's 2015, it's kinda a thing.
2015 is the year of streaming...as it has been for a few years now.

This is an honest question but people still use Blu Ray discs? I think the last time I saw someone using one was years ago (everyone I know now uses web based streaming options like Netflix or iTunes).

If you want to play Blu Ray, you'll have to go 3rd party. As far as I can tell, third party hardware and software support exist although I don't have any specific recommendations that I can offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One could be unkind and say you are back in 2011 that is when optical drives were done away with period.

Reaction score
to be honest and excuse my language I still don't know how Apple still insist in that "super drive" which is crap and a serious shame . I've two iMacs, I hardly ever used the SD and whenever I wanted to use them I had lot of issues reading/writing, at the moment the super drive is dead, it can't even read a standard CD. Apple is not the one in those 80's - 90's anymore unfortunately. It is in vain to claim for a SD BluRay, it will long last just a couple of months for sure.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess it depends on how you use your Mac. I've owned two Macs with super drives and had no problem whatsoever with either one. And I pushed plenty of CDs and DVDs thru the drives. Slot loading drives that Apple uses are certainly more finicky than tray loaders but I wouldn't refer to them as "crap".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I took muy Superdrive out, and put it in a enclosure, and I have actually had better performance, now it is out of my MBP and being used as a USB Attached Drive. Still, its been quite some time, since I have had to use it.
But as Nick posted, Apple isn't in the business of BluRays, and would think their customers would have a dedicated player, than try and get it working on a Mac. BluRay on a Non-Retina screen would of looked only as good as a DVD anyway.

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you use your Mac. I've owned two Macs with super drives and had no problem whatsoever with either one. And I pushed plenty of CDs and DVDs thru the drives. Slot loading drives that Apple uses are certainly more finicky than tray loaders but I wouldn't refer to them as "crap".

well, in my opinion (2 times 100% failed) you are very lucky to get them working. I always try (nowadays not as much as 2 decades ago) to defend Apple but believe me it is a very strange feeling having to ask my brother to burn a DVD/CD in his PC. (iMac €2500 - PC €500) :Oops:

Last edited:
C

chas_m

1. Buy external Blu-Ray burner
2. Buy or get software (some burners come with it) that offers Mac Blu-Ray support

There's no step three.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.